Question eGPU doesn't get detected on laptop running a riser 006c + DIY expresscard adapter

mbayou75

Reputable
Jul 20, 2018
Hello,

Just like the title says, I have a riser 006c + DIY expresscard adapter on my HP Pavilion DV7-3160es and a GTX 1050 .

When I booted up my system, it doesn't even get listed on the device manager nor that I get some slow down issues.
What could have gone wrong? There should be some troubleshooting steps right? I can provide way more infos if necessary.

It's worth mentioning that I followed this post to make the adapter, and I can assure you it looks all sharp and clean.

Edit: I tried some troubleshooting steps:

1/ I turned on PSU then started my laptop.
2/ I turned on PSU after halting windows startup using F8 then continued.
3/ I turned on PSU right when the 4 dots of windows emerged.

I'm using windows 7 btw.

Jun 29, 2019
I believed you already found the best site and forum for eGPU when I saw the link in your post.

I've used eGPU riser with mini pcie card and RX480 in about two to three years ago. A lot of things need to be done since I'm using a mini pcie interface which usually used for wifi cards.. and I don't think it always works for all laptop. Mine works with Thinkpad edge E420, but doesn't work with my lenovo Z480, until I unlocked my BIOS.

Things might be different for express card, but working with eGPU - you'll need to spend a lot of time to do experiment, trial-and-error method.

Reactions: mbayou75