Egyptian Government Orders ISPs to Switch Off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Who knew the new-world version of tear gas would be switching off ISPs...

Judging by whats on the news, I doubt this will stop protests. If anything it'll make them stronger, just maybe a little less organized.

zachary k

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
yea, that will stop it. or instead more people will be angry and more people will protest and riot, only this time is will be EVERYWHERE instead of organized in one place.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]That would suck big time, especially for anyone who games online or owns steam games/games that require always-on internet.[/citation]
i could see killing people a viable option for me if this happend to me.

sparky2010

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2008
One thing i keep thinking of is from the original (and to me, the only) Matrix, when Morpheus is captured and is being interrogated, Agent Smith tells him that humans are a plague, a cancer to the planet earth.... so yeah, we're a cancer, and we've multiplied and screwed our planet almost to breaking point.. and now that we're running out of food, natural resources, heating up the atmosphere, and now with the recent global crisis adding to the extremely large global unemployment and the large amount of poor people/countries, well, basically what i'm trying to say is,

the world's going to hell! :D

chick0n

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
Man if this is China, I bet 99% of the people here will jump on and like omg fuxking Communist die already.

Talked about double standard.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]chick0n[/nom]Man if this is China, I bet 99% of the people here will jump on and like omg fuxking Communist die already. Talked about double standard.[/citation]

there is a difference between a third world country we don't and do exploit. there is also fact that china is becoming a first world country, and probably will be one within my lifetime, we care more...

basically, egypt has bigger problems than no internet, and they are over all less hostile

asdfghjkl

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2007
Tomshardware, you DO know that there's actually a "help" key on Amiga keyboards? And it's next to the delete key on top of the arrow keys.

itchyisvegeta

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
For all the people who were for that net neutrality here in the US, THIS is the end result when you start letting the government take control of the internet.

A corporate controlled internet could never do this because of the money lost.

Nim Chimpsky

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
Net Neutrality would not let the government take control of the internet.

A corporation could shut down anything that it considered harmful to itself, just like a government. The difference is that corporations are private tyrannies, while the government is answerable, at least in small measure, to the people.

itchyisvegeta

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
"Net Neutrality would not let the government take control of the internet."

No, but it would be a stone in the foundation for it. Just like the FCC and the radio industry. And if you don't believe the FCC reference, then tell that to people like Howard Stern who would get fined 5 grand for saying the phrase, "going to the bathroom"!

Nim Chimpsky

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
The radio, like TV, is divided into pieces, the vast majority of which are controlled by a small number of corporations. I'm less worried about silly things like restrictions on vulgarity than about the limitation of what is broadcast.

Status
Not open for further replies.