Eight 5.1- And 7.1-Channel Gaming Headsets, Reviewed

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thequebecerinfrance

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
I had the Corsair HS1-A and they are pretty nice but they do lack bass. They are extremely confortable though and the sound is pretty clear. I broke them so I got true 5.1 headphones,the Trion PC510 HDA. Ido feel they are superior to the corsair's, the spatialization is incredible and they have a lot more bass which which make tanks really sound like tanks. They are not as confortable as the Corsair though. My soundcard is a XFI XtremGamer.

renesisrotary624

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
Question. I am not doubting the quality of these surround headsets, but I am wondering, at for the USB equipped versions, how is this different than going analog connections with integrated sound or a discrete sound card with 5.1 or 7.1 sound?

When I think about it, (and I am probably sure there is someone out there that knows about this more than me.) there are only a few companies that make audio processors. The ones that I can think of off the top of my head would be
- Creative (but if it were them, you know they would brand it Creative)
- Realtek (largest purveyor of positional sound processors to just about...well, anyone)
- Cirrus Logic (which would make up ASUS and Voyetra Turtle Beach, and anyone else that would be interested in Oxygen)

So, my guess..the majority have to be maybe ALC889's or 892's? Wouldn't you save a little money just getting a headset without said built in sound card/processor? I can only imagine if you had well built surround sound headsets coupled to a discrete sound card.

...or am I missing the point entirely?

PaperBoy

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2012
[citation][nom]Cleeve[/nom]I disagree.As mentioned in the article, six blindfolded testers were consistently able to point out the source of virtually-placed audio behind them, beside and in front. Every single tester.That's hard evidence that cannot be ignored.[/citation]
I can consistently point out the source of sound positioning on my Klipsh 2.0 stereo studio monitors on my desktop hooked to a source in the form of Creative Sound Blaster Titanium HD. The [citation][nom]Cleeve[/nom]I disagree.As mentioned in the article, six blindfolded testers were consistently able to point out the source of virtually-placed audio behind them, beside and in front. Every single tester.That's hard evidence that cannot be ignored.[/citation]
No ware in the article is it said what sound card was used if any and that would be the biggest factor in getting proper quality sound and channel separation and clarity outta these things LOL. Headphone emulated surround is considered JANKEY by true audiophiles and for good reason it is a cheap hack of the real thing and a sales GIMMICK even. SO in short this article has very little merit is any until you get a proper sound card driving these headphones and even then surround is not surround if all the speakers are in the same spot kinda like how you see noobs lining up there crappy Logitec Z5500s etc on there desktop thinking that is as good as it gets and pure 5.1 surround LOL. ( -Delusions of surrounding proportions- ) should be the name of this article and I am looking forward to your always vivacious reply's LOL.

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]PaperBoy[/nom]I can consistently point out the source of sound positioning on my Klipsh 2.0 stereo studio monitors on my desktop hooked to a source in the form of Creative Sound Blaster Titanium HD.[/citation]

Um.... OK, that's really nice.

[citation][nom]PaperBoy[/nom] The No ware in the article is it said what sound card was used if any and that would be the biggest factor in getting proper quality sound and channel separation and clarity outta these things LOL.[/citation]

You should read the review, it'll help your comments make sense: these are USB headsets, the sound card is included.

I'm glad you're a happy person though, it's good to see someone laugh so much!

[citation][nom]PaperBoy[/nom] Headphone emulated surround is considered JANKEY by true audiophiles and for good reason it is a cheap hack of the real thing and a sales GIMMICK even.[/citation]

I'll pick objective verified testing over what self-proclaimed 'audiophiles' might consider every time, but thanks for coming out. ;)

[citation][nom]PaperBoy[/nom]...LOL. ( -Delusions of surrounding proportions- ) should be the name of this article and I am looking forward to your always vivacious reply's LOL.[/citation]

I think that title is more apropos for your posts, but I also look forward to your reply, too. It's nice to have such a jolly guy around, breaking up his sentences with so much laughter! :D

PaperBoy

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2012
[citation][nom]AntiZig[/nom]virtual surround is easy if you have any experience with fourier transforms and signal processing. Great review TH, thanks to Don for putting this together.[/citation]
Its still just imaginary and cheap !

PaperBoy

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2012
[citation][nom]Cleeve[/nom]No, as they all have their own built-in chipset via USB (except the Psykos)[/citation]
So that in and of itself relegates these things (except the Psykos) to inferiour trash when they cant stack up against a true and proper sound card the likes of Asus Xonar and Creative as far a sound quality goes so if the sound is crap the surround is to.

firefyte

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2010

If you read properly, the Cooler Master and the Creative have the option of analogue and aren't limited by the USB-connection.

Good to hear the tech is getting somewhere, but I will stick with my $400 Sennheisers I got for $150 (love going out of business sales!), and my home build stereo speakers :) I'll take an equally prices stereo over surround sound any day for the fidelity and quality of audio over the positional aspect... but then again I do more audio editing than FPS games.

cleeve

Illustrious

Wow, you're so elite at life you can simply decide that stuff sucks without ever trying it.

That's an impressive ability you have there. It makes objective testing and the scientific method obsolete! :sarcastic:

PaperBoy

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2012
Well Cleeve the fact remains a proper quality Stereo surround setup offers better surround than software emulation which is all these headsets are is software emulation and the marketed buyers of these GIMMICKS are the same ones that think the Logetec Z5500s sounded great and especially when you line them all up on your desk.

PaperBoy

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2012
[citation][nom]Cleeve[/nom]Wow, you're so elite at life you can simply decide that stuff sucks without ever trying it. That's an impressive ability you have there. It makes objective testing and the scientific method obsolete![/citation]
Did they some how fit a full PCI Asus Xonar sound card in these headsets cause if so bravado.

impulse89

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Excellent! I had bought the Corsair 1500 Cans a few months back and I always wondered if the competition was much better. This totally puts my mind as ease and justifies the then $99 purchase.

[citation][nom]PaperBoy[/nom]So that in and of itself relegates these things (except the Psykos) to inferiour trash when they cant stack up against a true and proper sound card the likes of Asus Xonar and Creative as far a sound quality goes so if the sound is crap the surround is to.[/citation]
You would be wrong there. The nice thing about USB audio is that you are getting a purely digital signal that is then processed by a DAC and amp that is specifically designed for your headset. I am no fan of surroundsound headphones (have tried a few out and have been so far unimpressed, granted it was ~ a year ago), but USB is THE way to go for these types of devices. Really, if you are on optical/SPDIF or USB you can be on any crap sound card and still get amazingly clean output to your amp. If you are stuck on analog equipment... then you would need a good quality sound card.

Think of a sound card for digital audio like gold plated HDMI cables for your TV. It is cute, you get bragging rights, and you pay more for it, but as the signal is digital the medium makes absolutely no difference. There is an argument however for buying audio conditioning software like THX TruStudio, just not the hardware aspect of it.

cleeve

Illustrious

I'll take a gimmick that proves itself in blind objective testing.

That works for me more than naysayers who make assumptions based on prejudice, actually. :)

PaperBoy

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2012
[citation][nom]impulse89[/nom]Excellent! I had bought the Corsair 1500 Cans a few months back and I always wondered if the competition was much better. This totally puts my mind as ease and justifies the then $99 purchase.[/citation]
Corsair seems to be pwning in the quality albeit the very small quality PC speaker systems market and really it seems to be Corsair or Klipsh

PaperBoy

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2012
[citation][nom]Cleeve[/nom]I'll take a gimmick that proves itself in blind objective testing. That works for me more than naysayers who make assumptions based on prejudice.[/citation]
When Klisph and sennheiser are present in your lineup of Gimmickry and yuppie certified junk brands then we will have something here.

cleeve

Illustrious

Maybe.

Then again, maybe we'll have something when people stop making assumptions based on brand, and actually test things out instead. ;)

PaperBoy

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2012
[citation][nom]caedenv[/nom]You would be wrong there. The nice thing about USB audio is that you are getting a purely digital signal that is then processed by a DAC and amp that is specifically designed for your headset. I am no fan of surroundsound headphones (have tried a few out and have been so far unimpressed, granted it was ~ a year ago), but USB is THE way to go for these types of devices. Really, if you are on optical/SPDIF or USB you can be on any crap sound card and still get amazingly clean output to your amp. If you are stuck on analog equipment... then you would need a good quality sound card.Think of a sound card for digital audio like gold plated HDMI cables for your TV. It is cute, you get bragging rights, and you pay more for it, but as the signal is digital the medium makes absolutely no difference. There is an argument however for buying audio conditioning software like THX TruStudio, just not the hardware aspect of it.[/citation]
According to your analogy there no need for nice home theater receivers which are the same premise of a PC sound card and low bit rate is good quality you say as long as it is pure digital when along sound cleaner and better and the DAC IMHO is what makes it sound good. In other words what you are saying is and I am not arguing I just am learning that a USB sound card like this http://ncix.com/products/?sku=62228&vpn=XONAR%20U3&manufacture=ASUS is better than a far more expensive PCI card like this http://ncix.com/products/?sku=50786&vpn=XONAR%20HDAV%20ESSENCE%20ST&manufacture=ASUS

PaperBoy

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2012
[citation][nom]Cleeve[/nom]Maybe.Then again, maybe we'll have something when people stop making assumptions based on brand, and actually test things out instead.[/citation]
I have trusted Klipsh for years and they have been an industry leader since the 50s I trust them and when they bring something to market it is always quality and a standard in which to judge upon.

PaperBoy

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2012
[citation][nom]sinistersalad[/nom]Give it a rest PaperBoy. Most of us here are not going to drop that kind of cash just so the sound is a tad better in our perceptions.[/citation]
Its not the point of money we are talking sound quality reproduction here not cost per level of quality.

cleeve

Illustrious

Rhetoric and brand loyalty pales in comparison to actual testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.