Either PSU is dying or new HDD is bad or both lol

smoothcannibal

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
I don't know what else I could try and test to determine if one or both are actually bad. Need a second opinion before I start spending money or RMA'ing anything. Going to be a fairly long post so I apologize.

First up specs.
fx 6350 cpu
8gb ddr3 ram
gigabyte mobo
1tb 5400 rpm toshiba SATA HDD
1tb seagate 7200 rpm SATA HDD (new drive that seems to be acting up. Less than 1 month old)
HIS R9 280 (non x model) GPU with latest adreanaline drivers
Solid Gear 650 watt PSU
Windows 10 home with all latest updates

Long story short, My computer is crashing a lot with booting from the new Seagate drive during gaming (GTAV is all I have installed at the moment on the new drive) and running Minergate. I know not to use minergate but I'm getting the minimum to withdawl from the wallet and use a console miner after. But I'm just using it as a hobby type thing not serious 24/7. Even with just the Seagate drive connected and the Toshiba disconnected, I still get the crashes.

The crashes are a critical process died and the kernal power 41 (63 error). GTA V will freeze for about 30 seconds then resume for about 5 minutes then repeat once or twice, then crash and restart.

I haven't deleted the windows install from the old toshiba drive. I can boot to that and game and mine all I want 24/7 (I've tested it to be sure) even with both hard drives running. No crashes or anything.

I first noticed something was off when I first tried to install Windows 10 on the new seagate drive. It was clunking around and froze diring the install. My psu has 4 sets of plugs other than the essential gpu, cpu, mobo plugs. 2 are all molex connectors and the other 2 are all SATA connectors. I had to put both drives on the other unused SATA set to get them both to power. Everything was good for about 2 days then the problems really started.

I've put the Seagate drive (booted from the toshiba) through seatools and it seems to pass everything I toss at it. I've also ran diskcheck, memtest, Whatever the CMD window error test for windows that's built in. I've heard the Seagate clunk around some but even trying to copy a large file from it to the toshiba, it still copied it over perfectly. Even tried a deep cleaning including pulling apart the GPU and redoing the thermal paste. Which is did need. What was on there just crumbled away and cooler was clogged. No real change although it did okay for 2 days straight after that.

Using a PSU calculator, the recommendation is 615 watts and I know I'm below what AMD recommends. It's been fine for years like that no hiccups.

So again if there's anything else I've overlooked, please make me aware of it. On another note, I could use a recommendation on a new PSU. I don't necessarily want to build my next system around the PSU, so About 60 bucks and about 700-750 watts is what I'm looking at.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $79.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-01-26 14:26 EST-0500

or

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Power Supply: SeaSonic - 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.90 @ Newegg)
Total: $64.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-01-26 14:27 EST-0500

smoothcannibal

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010

I know solid gear isn't great. Good sale at microcenter. Honestly can't be that bad to have lasted me almost 4 years. About all I ever get out of a power supply no matter the brand.

I must have not noticed those seasonic ones looking around. Either way would the psu likely be the cause of my headaches and crashes? Not the new drive?