[SOLVED] Eithernet connected but no internet.

Oct 4, 2020
So when i diagnose my ethernet in network connections it says "Your computer appears to be correctly configured, but the device or resource (DNS server) is not responding. I've tried a number of things including uninstalling the driver and reinstalling it, ipconfig /release and after ipconfig /renew. it obtains the IP address automatically and it obtains the DNS server address automatically. ive cleared my DNS cashe and reset my IP settings. also I lose wifi at 10PM every night till i wake up around 8-9AM every morning. i had my PC do a full scan and it didnt show up with any virus or malware. This is my first PC I don't know what i'm doing here.

Solution
ok, let's work on the wifi card then.

If you can get into Device Manager, locate the entry for your wifi card under Network adapters.
go to the Power Management tab and uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" - you can do the same for your ethernet adapter too (it'll show under the same Network Adapters tree). If you're using wifi disconnect the ethernet cable, if using ethernet, disable wifi to avoid IP conflicts.
It would help immensely if you listed your components, you mentioned both ethernet and wifi?
are you connected directly to your modem or a router and how ?

it is via cable modem, DSL etc...

often it's your power management settings, win10 tries to turn off adapters to save power.
you can disable that in device manager. but without an idea of your environment it's hard to tell.

Oct 4, 2020
It would help immensely if you listed your components, you mentioned both ethernet and wifi?
are you connected directly to your modem or a router and how ?

it is via cable modem, DSL etc...

often it's your power management settings, win10 tries to turn off adapters to save power.
you can disable that in device manager. but without an idea of your environment it's hard to tell.
yes i have both ethernet and wifi. My roommate said the modem is the router. I'm not sure if its a cable modem or a DSL. And what do you mean about components? sorry for my lack of knowledge about this stuff

ok that's a start, now when you say you have both ethernet and wifi - which do you use for your PC?
typically you'd only need one. If your ethernet works, then it may be actually easier to disable the wifi to avoid conflicts. And by components I mean whether you use an ethernet card, the port on your motherboard or wifi?

yes i have both ethernet and wifi. My roommate said the modem is the router. I'm not sure if its a cable modem or a DSL. And what do you mean about components? sorry for my lack of knowledge about this stuff

Oct 4, 2020
ok that's a start, now when you say you have both ethernet and wifi - which do you use for your PC?
typically you'd only need one. If your ethernet works, then it may be actually easier to disable the wifi to avoid conflicts. And by components I mean whether you use an ethernet card, the port on your motherboard or wifi?
well, when my ethernet cable was picking up internet i had my wifi disabled, up until five days ago when my ethernet stopped picking up internet ive had the wifi enabled. For the ethernet im using the port on my motherboard, and for the wifi i have a card i installed on the motherboard.

ok, let's work on the wifi card then.

If you can get into Device Manager, locate the entry for your wifi card under Network adapters.
go to the Power Management tab and uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" - you can do the same for your ethernet adapter too (it'll show under the same Network Adapters tree). If you're using wifi disconnect the ethernet cable, if using ethernet, disable wifi to avoid IP conflicts.

Last edited:
Solution