Question EK D5 Pump & Fan Help

msesana

Commendable
Jun 20, 2018
Hello,

I’m putting together a custom loop with an EK D5 PWM Pump, 3 CORSAIR ML Pro fans and 1 Noctua PWM fan.

I’m a little confused on what would be the best way of connecting the Pump along with the fans?

Reading my motherboard’s manual says CPU_FAN Auto detects from PWM or DC mode, PUMP_FAN1 Is PWM default, and SYS_FAN 1-3 are Default DC. I can change them in Bios though I think.

But what would be the best way of connecting them? It’s a GPU + CPU Loop. Should I plug them with splitters or connect the pump by itself?

Thank you.

I'm assuming the 3 ML fans will be for the radiator with the noctua being exhaust?

I'd connect the 3 ML fans to a splitter connected to the cpu_fan header, so they will adjust speed based on cpu temp. The noctua to the sys_fan header. And the pump seperate. You dont really need speed control on the pump, as you probably want to run it at 100%. But it is nice to have that adjustment available separate from the fans.

msesana

Commendable
Jun 20, 2018
I'm assuming the 3 ML fans will be for the radiator with the noctua being exhaust?

I'd connect the 3 ML fans to a splitter connected to the cpu_fan header, so they will adjust speed based on cpu temp. The noctua to the sys_fan header. And the pump seperate. You dont really need speed control on the pump, as you probably want to run it at 100%. But it is nice to have that adjustment available separate from the fans.

That’s correct! Ok perfect, for the pump to run at 100% I just leave the PWM cable unplugged correct?

Also, if I add a CORSAIR Commander Pro, can I also plug all the Fans to it and control their speed from the software? Or is it still better to connect them to the CPU header?

Thank you.

I have no idea how the commander pro works but I'm guessing its through icue. I like to let bios control fan speed, but icue does work well. And it will(or should) allow fan adjustment via temp. It's really up to you how you choose to adjust the fans, but cpu temp is the way I do, and I think is the best option. But the commander is probably good for rgb stuff.

As far as the pump, I'd hook up the pwm. You may find you dont need 100%. So it's nice to have the option to turn it down. My pump doesn't have a pwm cable so it's all out all the time. Once you find what works best for your situation, you shouldn't need to play with it again. Pump speed is usually a set it and forget it deal. On the aios I've had previous, I've always set them to run at max speed.

There's several more knowledgeable folks on here, who may have different ideas. Hopefully they'll chime in and offer there ideas as well.

msesana

Commendable
Jun 20, 2018
Ok, thank you for the info. One last question, for the Pump PWM, can I hook it up to PUMP_FAN header? My MSI motherboard manual says it’s a PWM by default header so it should work?

msesana

Commendable
Jun 20, 2018
Yes, it has a Molex connection, and then a 4 pin PWM plug but only has 2 wires. So I’m guessing it gets power from the Molex, and the PWM is just for speed control.