EK D5 Pump started clattering?

Jeremy_75

Commendable
Dec 22, 2016
Hey guys, so I have had this build for a couple years now. I was running a penetration test on my own system the other day and then all of a sudden I started hearing a clattering sound accompanied by excessive vibration from my pump. So I decided to take a look and the pump stopped, then started again and repeated this process several times. Every time it started back it would vibrate and sound like rocks swirling around inside the propeller and then it just stops. Any idea what this could be? Is my pump dead?
https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-xtop-d5-vario-plexi-incl-pump
That is my pump. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Solution
You just being unlucky, stop using that dying pump, my #1 recommendation is koolance PMP 500, it actually cool four GTX 780Ti with just 420 + 280 rads @50% PWM fan speed, (~ 70°C across). Next time if you choose Vario D5 try max at setting 4, you can compensate the lack of low flow rate/high PSI drop with faster fans. Perhaps you can give us photos of your loop and dismantled pump, we can suggest you parallel or series setup with two low pumps such as XSPC Ion. Just to make sure pump's faulty, try change cable to another one > open impeller cover (buildup gunk) > open motor cover (re-coil dynamo).

Mikel_4

Respectable
Oct 15, 2016
You just being unlucky, stop using that dying pump, my #1 recommendation is koolance PMP 500, it actually cool four GTX 780Ti with just 420 + 280 rads @50% PWM fan speed, (~ 70°C across). Next time if you choose Vario D5 try max at setting 4, you can compensate the lack of low flow rate/high PSI drop with faster fans. Perhaps you can give us photos of your loop and dismantled pump, we can suggest you parallel or series setup with two low pumps such as XSPC Ion. Just to make sure pump's faulty, try change cable to another one > open impeller cover (buildup gunk) > open motor cover (re-coil dynamo).

Solution
The D5 is not easy to kill.
I had similar symptoms some time ago with my loop that at that time had pump similar in design to D5.
Disassemble the pump. I mean separate the motor from the top and take out the impeller. The impeller is held by magnets, so just pull it away.
Visually inspect the channels in top, impeller and the motor (pay attention to the ceramic ball in the middle) - you are looking for piece of something or some problem with bearing. Wash them with warm water. Make a short loop of only pump and res. fill it with water and check. if the problem dissapeared, take out the rest of the loop, disassemble it (including dissembling blocks) and wash them. I'd also recommend to replace tubing.
If after washing, the issue is still present (and you have not seen mechanical damage), one of the coils in the motor is probably dead. Fixable, but complicated.