[SOLVED] EK Phoenix, Swiftech Drive X3, What Next?

jm1

Honorable
Apr 14, 2018
I'd like some advice about CPU cooling. I used to run a custom loop but I learned the hard way that I don't have the fine touch or hand strength to dependably tighten compression fittings anymore. I was loath to go with the standard AIOs, but the EK Phoenix was more or less a custom loop CPU block and radiator with Quick Disconnect Connections and a pump integrated into the radiator, so I was fine with that for a while. Space in my next case made that inconvenient, but I was happy enough switching to a Swiftech Drive X3 H360 - only a 28mm radiator to be sure, but a good quality pump (by AIO standards) and a CPU block worthy of a custom loop, so I could live with that.

Now, I find myself with an LGA1700 build, so the Swiftech is a no-go. I gritted my teeth and bought an Asetek manufactured AIO, one of the ones where the sales literature is all about the RGB - excuse me, ARGB - and says almost nothing about the cooling power. I've now learned that the radiator is made of aluminium instead of copper, and it turns out that's a red line for me.

TLDR; Is there an AIO product on the market now that is in the quality range of the Swiftech Drive or EK Phoenix that is compatible with LGA1700? I have a bad feeling the only option would be to buy a couple of EK QDC kits and basically build myself a Phoenix loop with a discrete pump, but that's crazy expensive and still requires a lot of care with tightening the tube clamps, so I'd like to avoid that if there's a better option.

Thanks for reading.

Solution
Alphacool Eisbaer line is all copper I believe. Not sure about LGA1700 compatibility, might want to check out their site directly. They also have some quick disconnect pre-filled products.

I want to say that the highest end Cooler Master and NZXT also have all copper radiators, just kind of have to sort by price and look up each one.

It really doesn't matter all that much. AIO don't tend to last long enough the for corrosion inhibitor to fail, pump failure is more common.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Alphacool Eisbaer line is all copper I believe. Not sure about LGA1700 compatibility, might want to check out their site directly. They also have some quick disconnect pre-filled products.

I want to say that the highest end Cooler Master and NZXT also have all copper radiators, just kind of have to sort by price and look up each one.

It really doesn't matter all that much. AIO don't tend to last long enough the for corrosion inhibitor to fail, pump failure is more common.

Solution

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Alphacool's Eisbaer is all copper - that's one of the reasons I went with it.
I can't speak of the quality, as I'm just one sample currently using an Eisbaer Aurora 360 for just under 2 years.

The Krakens are aluminum.
Cooler Master, on the other hand, has Masterliquid Maker, which is copper core with aluminum frame. Everything else looks to be aluminum.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I can't speak of the quality, as I'm just one sample currently using an Eisbaer Aurora 360 for just under 2 years.

Cooler Master, on the other hand, has Masterliquid Maker, which is copper core with aluminum frame. Everything else looks to be aluminum.

I could have sworn that NZXT used to have one all copper model, maybe not.

I've also only had my Eisbaer Extreme Core for under a year, but it is part of my custom loop. They strapped a D5 pump and reservoir to a 280mm radiator. I've always been a fan of the integrated ones. Retired my Swiftech H240-X (280mm) with its DDC pump after like 6 years of service. Still using the Swiftech Apogee XL CPU block though.

jm1

Honorable
Apr 14, 2018

Thanks gentlemen, much appreciated. I just added an Alphacool Eisbaer Extreme to my cart :) Shipping costs a ton because of where I live though, so I might wind up getting the Eisbaer Aurora instead... Either way, thank you, you helped me make my decision!

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Thanks gentlemen, much appreciated. I just added an Alphacool Eisbaer Extreme to my cart :) Shipping costs a ton because of where I live though, so I might wind up getting the Eisbaer Aurora instead... Either way, thank you, you helped me make my decision!

Um, I hope you checked the fit for that. They are rather large, I stripped mine of its shell to get it in a mid-tower.

jm1

Honorable
Apr 14, 2018
Um, I hope you checked the fit for that. They are rather large, I stripped mine of its shell to get it in a mid-tower.
lol yeah it’s enormous. Thankfully I have the Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 Rev2 so I can drop the mobo tray if I have to. When you stripped the shell, were you able to take the fans off and mount them the other side of a fan grill? That would give me more options but I wasn’t sure it was doable

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
That is a little complicated.

The radiator is almost standard, but it lacks central threads for fans on one side. so rather than having 8 threaded holes on each side, it is 4 on the outside corners, but the other side has all 8. On the side with 8 the reservoir sticks out past where fans would stop, ie it won't sit flush against a radiator bracket, even with fans. Wasn't an issue for me since I could just let it overhang a little behind the front panel. You could space it out with some washers and longer screws through the fans.

The way I have it mounted below. Only a total of 4 threaded holes on the left side, on the top and bottom none in the center, the reservoir overhangs towards the front. You would have to make sure that part hangs down, which may not work with the expected orientation, it fills from the front (the bottom in your situation). Keeping the reservoir from snapping off might be tricky without support.

--[__]
2 [] 4 threads
2 [] 4 threads

It is much more stable with the full chassis on, so if you can fit the whole thing, that is the way to go. I knew it wouldn't fit when I ordered it, but I was prepared to swap cases if I had to. Luckily it came apart pretty easily and only a little cutting on my chassis was needed to make room for the reservoir.

jm1

Honorable
Apr 14, 2018
That is a little complicated.

The radiator is almost standard, but it lacks central threads for fans on one side. so rather than having 8 threaded holes on each side, it is 4 on the outside corners, but the other side has all 8. On the side with 8 the reservoir sticks out past where fans would stop, ie it won't sit flush against a radiator bracket, even with fans. Wasn't an issue for me since I could just let it overhang a little behind the front panel. You could space it out with some washers and longer screws through the fans.

The way I have it mounted below. Only a total of 4 threaded holes on the left side, on the top and bottom none in the center, the reservoir overhangs towards the front. You would have to make sure that part hangs down, which may not work with the expected orientation, it fills from the front (the bottom in your situation). Keeping the reservoir from snapping off might be tricky without support.

--[__]
2 [] 4 threads
2 [] 4 threads

It is much more stable with the full chassis on, so if you can fit the whole thing, that is the way to go. I knew it wouldn't fit when I ordered it, but I was prepared to swap cases if I had to. Luckily it came apart pretty easily and only a little cutting on my chassis was needed to make room for the reservoir.
Thanks, that was a great answer, I understand now. I’ll fit it as one piece as intended, like I said I can drop the mobo tray, or if it really comes to it I can change case. Mounting proper cooling is now the priority for me, everything else will have to fall into line.