EKWB’s Latest Water Block Turns Your RX 480 Into A Single Slot Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt_550

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
I'd be interested to see how this sells since AMD already throttled the card because of voltage and not heat. No real reason to upgrade the cooling when you have no voltage headroom for an overclock. This might be sweet on the AIB 480's though.

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Uh. with the inlet / outlet sitting horizontally how does that save space for an ITX case with a single slot? Spun 180 degrees it'd interfere with my CPU unless I plumbed that as well. :(

cfortney

Reputable
Jan 13, 2016
I've never understood the market here. $100 water block for a budget aimed GPU? If I'm going to spend $350 on a new GPU, why would I get an RX 480?

Quixit

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014

No one buys $100 water blocks for their GPUs if they're not already water-cooling their CPU. Generally, if you're going to pay the money for a custom water-cooling loop you're going to have everything plumbed in to it.

EK's port are drilled on both sides and come with two threaded plugs. You can set your in and out wherever you want.

These are strictly for space-constrained builds, which normally have a price premium associated with it. ITX boards tend to be pricier than a comparably-featured full size or mATX board. Good SFX power supplies are also more expensive than ATX power supplies of the same wattage and quality.

It's a small market, but it's there.

Kenneth Barker

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015
I feel if someone is rocking a custom open loop water cooling rig. The 480 is the last card they would have on their minds. I am not sure what market this is focused at

G0nz0

Commendable
Apr 7, 2016
@urbanj yeah until u consider that now u need a pump,u need to route your tubing, fit a radiator, a drain, a fill port etc. your better off just keeping the air cooler for a tiny build cause its a pita to fit all the watercooling stuff in a small form factor

none12345

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2013
I think its retarded to water cool a $200 card....But....

Man is that a tiny card when its got a water block on it. So much power in such a tiny card.

JakeWearingKhakis

Commendable
Apr 5, 2016
I feel like the RX 480 is AMD's "1060". Hopefully they have a 490 or 490x coming that WILL be worth the water block. I'm still using a sapphire 290x tri-x, and its still a beast card.

The 480 is still a powerhouse card for the money.

ExtremeFeminist

Commendable
Jul 13, 2016
It's a little unfortunate to see the comments here. I'm actually interested in this setup! Watercooling isn't necessarily about overclocking and pushing boundaries, although that's where it shines compared to air cooling. I prefer a computer that's inaudible (not just quiet) and watercooling is perfect for that. I can use a D5 pump at its lowest setting just to get the coolant barely moving and a big radiator like a 360mm or 280mm with a good fan like Noctua redux-900 that's optimized for static pressure and makes no noise at only 900rpm. The fact this waterblock makes the card a single slot device is even better, as I can get two cards and install them in the same space a dual slot graphics card would occupy, still leaving me with plenty of room for other PCIe devices like an SSD or capture card.

GoldenBunip

Reputable
Aug 23, 2016
Water Cooling is also very Quite! I have have a watercooling loop and will be getting the 480 when the Nitro is back in stock. My system runs without any fans or pump 90% of the time as its all solid copper pipe. It only only making a little noise when running games.
Water Cooling can be used for more than thrashing the pants of your hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.