EKWB's 180-mm EK-CoolStream WE Radiators Are Huge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buy a case? Please. If you're buying these, you're making an external radbox.

It's _wonderful_ to see some higher-fan size radiators coming to market that actually have good build quality; nothing else that used larger than 140mm fans was particularly well built. Hopefully this will inspire well-made 180mm fans in turn.

Ian Mahaney

Honorable
Apr 11, 2013
My Silver Stone TJ08-e case uses a 180mm fan. I'd like to see how the single 180mm would mount in something like my case and how much clearance is left for cables and the like.

taz-nz

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2006
You can fit a 540 radiator in a Silverstone FT02 with only mirror mods to the case, and it comes with three Silverstone AP181 180x180x32mm fans stock, which can push more than enough air for any radiator. The AP182 fans are better but only come in white.

Vatharian

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
The Silverstone 180mm fans are made specifically with air cooling in mind. They have very good airflow, but very low static pressure, which is crucial for radiator cooling. They won't perform well on any rad. I have a 1080 rad, and I tested whole bunch of 180mm fans, and best came out Phobya fans, along Corsair pressure ones (blue) with adapters 180 to 120mm. Yep, four of these were better than nine classic 120mm.

Perhaps, but you're missing a key point: SS cases are designed to accommodate 180mm fans so mounting a 180mm radiator shouldn't be a problem ( even if you do need to swap out fans for maximum cooling. )

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Interesting. I was about to shoot down the idea of a 180mm fan inside of a case but I see where some cases could start supporting this. I know for now that most people will be running an external raid but I would love to see cases start to support this size. The transition from 120 to 140 was pretty significant but I think we could go bigger on cases like the Enthoo Primo and the high end corsair cases (and everything else that is considered to be a full tower)

f-14

Distinguished
or buy 2 L brackets and an axial or radial/centrifugal fan to suck air thru the rad and blow the air out thru existing case vents. it's a good project for a 3D printer to make a custom housing for a specialty fan to move high cfm with lower rpm and an external quiet electric motor and gear set up i'm playing with. the fan i've gotten down to 15db starting at 300rpm and winding up to 900rpm. it's the little motors that whine too much like the little motors found in the old stompers cars. i think will have to encase them in a cork or acoustical noise wrap.

chicofehr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
I wonder how good a car radiator would do for cooling my system? I'm thinking of trying it sometime out of curiosity. I could cool more then 1 computer with it no prob. I feel like an inverter. I hope I don't blow my place up LOL

Nuckles_56

Admirable
I wonder how good a car radiator would do for cooling my system? I'm thinking of trying it sometime out of curiosity. I could cool more then 1 computer with it no prob. I feel like an inverter. I hope I don't blow my place up LOL
I'd be interested to see how that turns out really

Status
Not open for further replies.