EKWB's Pre-Filled Graphics Blocks Are Here To Join Your Predator

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
It would be highly beneficial to add the details around reference PCB of the graphics cards - they should be pointed to EK's Cooling Configurator link or they should have a method to validate.

There are so many non-standard PCB designs for GPUs these days and one of the BIGGEST issues we see is a user buying a graphics card first, only to find out there is not a full-cover block available because it does not follow nVidia or AMD reference.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
I think I just found my next AIO. I was waiting for a company to release a CPU + GPU combo AIO but this is way better!!!

I am just waiting for EK to release a 280 radiator Predator system, ill get that set on a monoblock (if they ever become predator capable) and a predator GPU block :) :) :).

By the time im done my water loop will cost as much as the "whatever 80Ti" GPU ill put in but at least ill know it will be top quality lol!.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I am currently testing the EK Predator 240. It's an incredibly well-built unit.

You can use any blocks you wish with this system - it uses normal compression fittings, so it can be expandable using standardized watercooling components.

norseman4

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
Doesn't seem to be available on their site yet. Went to the configurator found a 390 that they had a full coverage plate for. On that form you can only select fittings, but no options, that I could see, for the Predator option.

Very attractive design will appeal to many who are averse to doing a custom loop... tho I must say the most complicated part of building a custom loop is attaching the block to the GFX card so I think the easy "curb appeal" will turn into a daunting task for a significant portion of this crowd.

My other concern from experience w/ custom loops and even OLCs like the Siftech models id there's no mention of bleeding. The QD assembly is bound to introduce a teeny bit of air and over time, we expect some of the liquid to off-gas. And if there's one thing that can be annoying when you have builtd a dead silent system, is the noise of air bubbles trapped somewhere in your loop.

For the anal types like me, also I'd want to shorten and reconfigure this tubes to come out on top of the card and not have then bending and criss-crossing which burns the aesthetic appeal a bit. So while I comment the near perfect spill free design, it's the "near" that I find problematic. Again, anxious to see Rubix's review to see how / if these issues can be addressed.

Nice that the pre-assembled everything into a kit and all but I think even a novice user could do better and build a more efficient and more aesthetically pleasing result.

-Attaching the fans for you is nice, but since they are upside down acting as exhausts, and it's a rather substantial effort requiring special tools to flip em so they perform better .... the advantage disappears.

-The easy connect via QDs is nice but not if i have to dis assemble, cut hoses, remount connections on top of card, etc.

They kinda stuck since they can't custom cut the tubes for every installation possibility but, tho they are great features, I think many won't get full advantage of them.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Only the 360 has the QDC's, the 240 does not. It would require more manual work to introduce a GPU block with this unit vs. the 'ready-filled' blocks with the QDC's...although, not sure why they would market the 240 to be expandable but not include the disconnects for simple addition.

norseman4

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
It's expandable by the fact that these use standard components and fittings. You need to drain the loop to expand it, but it's available.

Corsair and the others don't have that capability in their AIO water coolers

Yes, it's expandable but why you would you spend extra $60 over the better performing Swiftech H220-X. Only reason I can fathom would be the QD fittings and ability to add a water block without making that effort. Swiftech provides a reservoir, level indicator, uses lower rpm / quieter fans, has 50% longer warranty, the block is much easier to install, has the fans blowing in the proper direction, doesn't require a special tool to flip them over to the correct position and provides fan control for 8 fans as opposed to 3.

The only reason I can see to select the $200 Predator over the $140 H220-X is the ease of installing a pre-fileld GPU water block via the QD fittings by folks who may be daunted by filling the loop and bleeding it.

EK had at its fingertips another advantage that would make it more attractive as their physical design allows you to mount 4 fans in push pull. In Swiftech's design, you are physically limited to 3 fans as the reservoir clocks the 4th. But, EK only provided 3 fan headers ? .... supplying a 4th would have been a big reason to spend some of that money.

The performance per dollar is almost 50% higher with the EK and that doesn't include the effect / appeal of those other features. A 1 year longer warranty, quieter fans and the 4 fan ports, 140mm width (especially a 420 model) would make it much more attractive I think.

perf_dollar.gif

Skypine27

Reputable
Oct 2, 2014
The custom loop bashing with respect to bleeding and plants growing in your PC are waaaayyy exaggerated.

Custom loop guy reporting in.

Yes, occasionally the fluid level in the res does go slightly down thanks to evaporation. I just unscrew the fill plug and squirt a little more distilled water in.

Yes, I empty the system and refill it once a YEAR. Yes, once a year. I use a couple of drops of Mayhem (sp) red dye and distilled water.

Never had any plants in my PC:

I missed the custom loop bashing but that is a concern to me with AIOs. Algaecides and corrosion inhibitors lose their effectiveness over time and at least w/ a custom loop or OLC, these can be replenished. I know many folks do without successfully but I have seen green lined tubing. At least OLC AIOs allow ya the option.

Never seen a custom loop w/o a bleed port, but again, if you take apart CLC or use one of these OLCs and add components, it is likely that air will enter system. No bigga deal except for the noise it makes or bubble is big enough to inhibit flow rate.

Another thing ya lose with the QD fittting approach is that you are forced to feed twin cards in series rather than in parallel with a lot of extra tubing to squeeze in. Yes, the radiator is sized only for the 1 extra card on a Predator 360 but if you are ding SLI, you prolly would have 2 rads.

20ded621_002.jpeg

And no, I did add the 2nd set of fans in push but I still haven't sleeved the cables. have box of new wires, wire and, connectors, sleeving and all the tools, ... but no motivation.

Status
Not open for further replies.