EL DORADO COUNTY GOVERMENT

Archived from groups: news.admin.net-abuse.email,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.firefighters,alt.cellular.verizon,misc.emerg-services (More info?)

randallh@sonic.net (Randy Hodges) wrote in message news:<3b41c027.0301150808.4e46d985@posting.google.com>...
> 1ROGER@CARE2.COM (ZBOXMAN) wrote in message
> > if you go camping, hiking or backpacking in
> > el dorado county, cailf. don't get to a point where you need
> > help from el dorado county sheriff's dept. search & rescue
> > because this is what they will tell you. well tomorrow is
> > day off and when we call men in on their days off the moral
> > of the men gets down. so that's why the last 20 years we have
> > saved 27 people and lost 141=doa.
>
> I don't know your specific situation and I don't want to be judgmental
> but it seems to me that they were not truly convinced that there was a
> life threatening problem.
>
> I am firmly convinced that many of us take wilderness for granted.
> Many enter it without fully accepting its risks. When people enter
> the wild without proper training or equipment and then call for help.
> The rescue personnel have a right to be resentful. I understand the
> logic of, "They will survive and have a harrowing story to tell.
> Maybe next time they will exercise some judgment."
>
> I know many S & R personnel (not in El Dorado County) and these people
> would never hesitate to get involved in any situation where lives are
> in jeopardy.
>
> randy

ZBOXMAN, SMALL TOWN SHERIFF WHO THINKS HE'S GOD.

I BEEN ASKED THAT I WRITE SOME OF MY IMPRESSIONS REGARDING > THE
HANDLING OF SEARCH & RESCUE EFFORTS WHILE ROGER WAS MISSING > ON THE
NORTH FORK OF THE CONSUMMNES RIVER. I FEEL THAT I AM A > QUALIFIED
OUTDOORSMAN,HAVING SPENT MUCH OF MY ADULT LIVE IN DESERT AND FOREST
AREA. IN AR, NM, TX AND FL.I FIRST BECAME AWARE THAT ROGER > WAS
MISSING WHEN I RECEIVED A CALL FROM MY DAUGHTER BECKY AT 10PM. TUE .
NIGHT SHE DESCRIBED HIS SATUDAY DISAPPEARANCE AND TOLD ME THAT THE
SEARCH PARTY CONSISTED OF 4 PEOPLE AND ONE DEPUTY SHERIFF. I WAS >
ABSOLUTLY APPALLED AT THE LACK OF AN ORGANIZED SEARCH PARTY BY THE >
EL DORADO CALIF. SHERIFF DEPT. AT THIS LATE DATE, AND PROMISED TO COME
> UP EARLY THE NEXT DAY WITH MY SON DAVE. WE LEFT AT 5AM, ARRIVED IN >
PLACERVILLE, CA AT 7AM.,PICKED UP BECKY AND THE THREE OF US DROVE TO >
CAPP'S CROSSING CAMPGROUND. WE SEARCH THE NORTH FORK OF THE CONSUMMES
> CANYON TO VAN HORN. WE COVERED BOTH BANKS OF THE CANYON IN THE AREA
> AND RETURNED TO THE CAMPGROUND VIA THE RIDGEBETWEEN THE NORTH FORK
AND > VAN HORN. I THEN HIKED UP THE NORTH FROM SOUTH BANK AND
DESCENDING THE > NORTH BANK. NO FAVORABLE SIGN WAS FOUND THE ENTIRE
DAY. WE RETURNED TO PLACERVILLE AT 630PM.

AFTER DINNER I ATTENDED A PORTION OF A MEETING WITH SHERIFF PACILEO
AND MEMBERS OF HIS STAFF. ALSO IN ATTENDANCH WERE DONNA, ROBERT, RICK,
GAIL, AND KENT.THE TONE OF THE MEETING WAS OPEN HOSTILITY ON THE PART
OF THE SHERIFF . THE MEMBERS OF THE PARTY WERE TRYING TO PLEAD AND
REASON WITH THE SHERIFF THAT 1. ROGER WAS LOST IN THE FOREST AND 2 WE
NEEDED MASSIVE ORGANIZED AID TO FIND ROGER BEFORE IT WAS TO LATE.
FINALLY AFTER 2 HOURS OR SO OF PLEADING AND ARGUING, THE SHERIFF BEGAN
TO CHANGE HIS TONE AND AGREE TO GET FOREST CREWS AND A HELICOPTER BACK
IN. SHERIFF PACILEO SET UP A BRIEFING FOR 9AM. THURSDAY MORNING.
STARING A MEETING AT THIS LATE HOUR WOULD PRECLUDE ARRIVAL IN THE
CANYON TO START SEARCHING MUCH BRFORE 12NOON. SO KENT AND I DECIDED WE
WOULD NOT GO TO THE BRIEFING. WE LEFT AT 5AM. SO WE COULD BE IN THE
CANYON AS
***************************************************************************************************************************************

from 1: he apparently had been living on guts and adreneline for a
long time, because once he was safe and comfortable,he collapsed.we
planned to wait where we were for the 1pm. rendezvous. Periodicically
we threw leaves and green boughs on the signal fire hoping to attract
attention, disappointed that there was no helicopter.(the first
helicopter flight was observed at 1230pm. but he was never close
enough overhead to see our fire). at 115pm. we decided that we'd
better wait no longer and should start to walk out. we tried to carry
roger, but this proved impossible due to the roughness of terrain.kent
Stayed with roger and i started out for help. 1/2 mile downstream i
ran into a party of 4 and started making a stretcher and 2 of the
party of 4 out to get help in the form of growlersberg equip. and crew
and to try to get radio contact with sheriff's dept.(walkie-talkies
the 3 people from the forest service had were no good.(the sheriff
would only give
us 3 people to search for roger.(because the sheriff pacilio of el
dorado county, ca said the whole thing was a joke.(if you call
someone who is lost deep in the forest for 6 days a joke thats funny.)
but after a veryrough walk to the the top of the canyon. a jolly green
giant helicopter with a winch was call in from the air force and
lifted roger out of the canyon in the gloom of dusk. my prime
impression of the operation is the in explicable reluctance to act and
even lack of interest displayed by sheriff pacileo. he had to be
pushed and badgered to do anything, and that was always too little.
I've always thought that i read in the paper about someone being
missing,"they" a great efficient rescue organization, took over and
called in necessary men and equipment.this case, there was no "they".
was saved by dedicated and persistent family and friends. this serach
was in more then 30 papers, magazines and a tv movie.
***************************************************************************************************************************************

the el dorado county, ca sheriff's dept. also said the forset service
and air force don't know what the hell they are doing they call us for
help. and can't use dogs if over 2 hours. the sheriff had to ask out
side

yukio

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2003

"STARBUCKSCARDS" <starbuckscards@canada.com> wrote in message
> I BEEN ASKED THAT I WRITE SOME OF MY IMPRESSIONS REGARDING > THE
> HANDLING OF SEARCH & RESCUE EFFORTS WHILE ROGER WAS MISSING > ON THE
> NORTH FORK OF THE CONSUMMNES RIVER. I FEEL THAT I AM A > QUALIFIED
> OUTDOORSMAN,HAVING SPENT MUCH OF MY ADULT LIVE IN DESERT AND FOREST
> AREA. IN AR, NM, TX AND FL.I FIRST BECAME AWARE THAT ROGER > WAS
> MISSING WHEN I RECEIVED A CALL FROM MY DAUGHTER BECKY AT 10PM. TUE .
> NIGHT SHE DESCRIBED HIS SATUDAY DISAPPEARANCE AND TOLD ME THAT THE
> SEARCH PARTY CONSISTED OF 4 PEOPLE AND ONE DEPUTY SHERIFF.

You have been allowed to reproduce? And then found a willing partner?

Amazement!