Elaborate on overclocking process for Cele333a

G

Hi forum members. I've been contemplating overclocking my cpu for some time but I've only recently decided to delve into the oc'ng art. I do plan on upgrading my whole system in the upcoming months, so at the moment I'm only looking for a quick fix to aid in pushing my 3d card(Geforce2MX)which should in turn equate to improved framerates for games and programs, etc. My current sys specs= Abit BH6 Intel 440BX chipset, 333a celeron, 128mb ram. I hear that this chip has the potential to be upped to 450mhz, is this correct?

Anyway, since I'm fairly new to all this, I'd appreciate some more insight on how I can go about reaching this goal. I believe it has something to do with the multiplier and user defined mode in the bios setup, but I need more direction before I proceed. I really appreciate the assistance and will check back for pointers. Thanks..

PS. I'm using only the regular heatsink\fan active cooling combo. I would like to overclock to a moderate speed due to this, any suggestions?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Go into BIOS and change the bus frequency to 100, that will give you 500. You might need to increase core voltage to make it work. A lot of people used to get 500 out of them. Otherwise, you'll have to change to some other bus speed between stock 66MHz and 100MHz.

Suicide is painless...........

G

Thanks for your swift response. Ok, here's what I show in my bios menu.

Cpu Operating Speed: User define
Turbo frequency: Disabled
External Clock: 66mhz
Multiplier Factor: X3.5
SEL 100/66# Signal: Low
L2 Cache Latency: Default
Speed Error Hold: Enabled
Cpu Power Supply: Cpu Default
Core Voltage: 2:00V

The error message I receive after altering the bus freq to 100mhz or 83mhz=Cpu unworkable or has been changed. Where do I go from here? Again, the cpu is a celeron 333a. Let me know of my options. Thanks.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I don't know for sure, but I think you must disable "speed error hold" because I think that it is an feature to let you know that your CPU is running out of specified frequency.
Having done that, if it fails to boot, change your core voltage to 2.2 and try it again. I hope you have a good heatsink and fan for this-if you can keep track of CPU temp you should do so. Otherwise, assume it is too hot if it starts acting flaky as time progresses.

Suicide is painless...........

G

Yuo micht want to get an extra fan mounted in yuor case to get some extra cooling. Thow i had enough cooling from the standard celeron cooler just recently. I have the 266 (on of the first celerons, it does not even have cache). Whicjh i put in my asus mobo that doesnt support 66 fsb so it defaulded to 400mhz and ran stabily.. cpu never went past 40 degrees celsius. But then i dont know waht temp. the celeron supposed to be run. Anyway i dont know if your mobo has a temp sensor, but if so watch it carefully if you overclock. Also try incrementing the Fsb in small steps and chek if it runs stabily. And foremost maybe you can also change the multiplier see thomas`s o/c guides for details
oh and before you change the FSB make sure your memory can alkso handle 100mhz ..

Hey man i dont know .. i just think i do !!

G

Crashman and Multi, thanks for your excellent insight\info on what needs to be done. I altered the clock speed to 83mhz and disabled the speed error hold wiht everything left to default settings as posted above. The cpu is now running at 416 mhz and it seems to be stable, haven't noticed anything erratic(fingers x'd). Unfortunately I don't have a cpu temp gauge, only a system enviroment thermometer. I will purchase an orb fan fairly soon and hopefully this it should suffice. Anyway, do you feel I should leave everything as is for the time being, like the voltage, multiplier set to default, etc?

After purchasing the orb fan, I also plan on possibly pushing it to 500mhz by adjusting the clock to 100mhz. The board supports 100mhz external clock speed and I'm using 128mb PC100 memory as well. My one concern is that the board only supports 66mhz and 100mhz external clock speeds and I'm not so sure that running at 83mhz(as I am right now)is all that safe. What do you think? Thanks..

TRENDING THREADS