Elder Scrolls Anthology Now Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevilence

Distinguished
May 8, 2012
Who knows what it will be like, personally, I hope like hell its just the same as skyrim except with friends (maybe less quest bugs). That to me would be a huge win

Grandmastersexsay

Honorable
May 16, 2013
What are the odds Elder Scrolls Online will try something besides the WOW mechanics, roll of the dice style of game play that has been around since Dungeons and Dragons? If I wear some pauldrons in real life, are they going to increase my critical strike rating? It feels like every MMORPG is just a reskinned version of the other.

How about some real, or at least semi real mechanics, like a FPS, but in a MMORPG? You know, kind of like how the Elder Scrolls series is, but with the MMO part? Any chance of that? No? Instead you're going to turn a perfectly good FPS RPG, take out all the skill, and turn it into just another crappy cookie cutter MMORPG?

Fuck the world and its lack of imagination and daring.

nevilence

Distinguished
May 8, 2012

And in real life your gloves will give you 20% to alchemy, boots 25% to sneak, perk points to increase my 1 handed crit, and a necklace that will reduce the cooldown between shouts?? Im sorry but its a fantasy game, real life doesnt have a lot to do with it. And this as a mmorpg is going to be reskinned in the same way that skyrim is reskinned rpg, doesnt mean it cant be good

Grandmastersexsay

Honorable
May 16, 2013

Yeah, yeah... You miss my point.

FPS mechanics vs Target, Cast Spell, Roll dice.

Skill vs Luck.

BTW, boots could really add 25% to sneak.

So.. they are selling daggerfall, a game that is free to download. Just a reminder, there is no support for those games, so if it dosent work for you, your problem.

Amazing that bethesda desided to jump on the "WoW made a lot of money, lets do the same" wagon. So many companies destroyed their reputation on with this, and now its their turn.

Also, since morrowind i felt like each elder scrolls after that was slightly cut down in terms of quality.

It would be very hard to explain to someone who didnt play those games.
Ofc you need the mods to make games look as good as they should have been in the first place :D.

Becouse of this I feel i wont be even trying Elder scrolls online.

cypeq

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
Just give chance to Elder Scrolls MMO. It will be a damn shame if it's just gonna reskin WOW mechanics. Unfortunately they are one of the best here. Remember that bethseda team is not making this mmo.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
Won't be playing this. For me the whole point of an RPG is OFFLINE for 50-100hrs of fun. I refuse to pay $180 to pay for a year on top of probably a $50-60 game price...LOL. So what is that $240 game? Only fools pay for this crap, I hope everyone just decides to never play these again and boycotts them until they quick making them. I want single player & lan for friends, nothing more (or one of us being a server and friends playing using my ip etc - like running a quake server or unreal etc...No servers at some company). Online games suck up too much of your time (you must be fairly dedicated to get anywhere), and have far too many punks and kiddies to deal with. No thanks.

G

You are aware that FPS stands for First Person Shooter, right? Thus you are implying a game such as Borderlands.

I'm going to assume you meant action RPGs, which feature real time dynamic combat rather than just box clicking and waiting for casting bars to fill up. Action RPGs like Phantasy Star. Which are like my favorite genre ever, but fail miserably in the US.

I think the sad truth is that the majority of American gamers just don't have the patience for these kinds of games. They want point-and-shoot-and-win games like CoD or auto-fight-auto-win games like WoW.

If you want an online RPG that is much more focused on skill than on luck, I very highly recommend Monster Hunter (which, surprise, isn't that successful in America, either).

leo2kp

Distinguished
All I gotta say is: give TESO a chance. I had the opportunity to BETA test for a few hours and I did not hear one complaint, but a lot of "OMG i'm buying this game!" and "I love this game!". If you like the TES series, TESO definitely satisfies.

Grandmastersexsay

Honorable
May 16, 2013

I know what FPS stands for jabroni.

I play elder scrolls in first person view, like everyone should. I even shoot arrows in this view, satisfying your narrow definition of the term. Although you could have a melee only FPS, as melee attacks can be argued to be a projectile attack of limited range.

Grandmastersexsay

Honorable
May 16, 2013

No, but it is going to be.

That's what I am complaining about.

Someone needs to release a turn-based RPG. Everything else is just a crappy FPS by which you can level up. The mechanics in these games are 2nd-rate compared to an actual FPS.

Get back to the basics baby. D&D! Wizardry1- or Pool of Radiance- or Bard's Tale 1- style with better graphics and a much larger world. I want to control the party single-player turn-based style or hop online and adventure turn-based style with others. None of this pause-the-game junk like Baldur's Gate or KOTOR and none of this wanna-be-FPS style of Oblivion ... I'm talking straight up old-school turn-based.

Also, with Oblivion, why does the Winter Wolf still kick my butt when I'm level 30? Does that make sense? If I'm some powerful wizard after many years of adventure, why can't I simply toast a Winter Wolf with my level 30 fireball? Here you are adventuring your butt off, get to level 30 and you encounter the same Winter Wolves who obviously have been training with with Mr. Miyagi while you've been leveling up and they kick your level 30 behind because they also level up with you. That's just not D&D, but it's all we have, I guess.

leo2kp

Distinguished

If you haven't checked out the Ask Us Anything on the TESO site, I highly recommend it.

http://elderscrollsonline.com/en/news/category/ask-us-anything

I pulled this from there:

"Combat stays engaging because situations change, requiring you to think about what you are seeing in front of you. It is probably much easier to think of the combat from Oblivion and Skyrim than a more common MMO system."

and I can confirm that combat is similar to what is described here. It's more reaction and based on skill vs button mashing, and another answer confirms that you need to actually aim with ranged attacks.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I'm not sure who is being targeted with this. Fans already own most of the games and someone new to the series will probably only play Skyrim and maybe Oblivion. So this must be for the superfans that want to own the most complete 'collectible' version of the games.

As for ES Online, they had better keep the combat style like the rest of the series and not go to a WoW style or nobody is going to play it.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Also, in regards to ES Online, I also hope they keep the leveling so that each skill is leveled as it is used. Basically make a single player ES game with the option for doing multiplayer quests.

fedelm

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
If you want older games with support you should check out GOG.

I believe I saw Morrowind there....GOTY edition for 10$ if I'm not mistaken. They also have crazy sales all the time so keep an eye out for your favourite games.

I got Heroes 3 Complete and Alpha Centauri and didn't have a single problem with them on my W7 machine.

Also, DRM free.

Cheers to the old school of gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.