Elder Scrolls Multiplayer Possible But Unlikely

Status
Not open for further replies.

wickedsnow

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2007
Multiplayer or not, I'm looking forward to skyrim and I love the entire elderscrolls series!

I wish they would re-release arena,daggerfall, and morrowwind with updated graphics and support for newer hardware. (Wishful thinking most likely!)

jednx01

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
I'm looking forward to the game, but I don't really think elderscrolls needs multiplayer in order to be successful. I loved oblivion, even though it had no multiplayer. I have no problem with them adding multiplayer, as long as it doesn't cause them to put less effort into the single player portion of the game.

Yeah I agree with bethesda's assessment. If skyrim is anything like the other games, it will be a near perfect rpg on its own. I think its more likely they would do a MMO based on that universe than an addition to the standard rpg.

I can't wait either, by far my favorite games.

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
I think if they keep multiplayer functionality simple, it will avoid harming the gameplay. For example, it could use a host/guest system, where nothing would change when a guest joined except for having an extra blade running around with you (maybe bump difficulty as more players join, too). Other things to implement would be trading, and division of loot, but a multiplayer schema that simple likelywouldn't negatively affect the game.

G

A MMOG wouldn't work well for this series. BUT, a co-op mode would be so freaking awesome. I can't really see how there would need to be much compromise of features to get co-op working. Of course, I'm not the one making the game. It has to happen eventually if they want to keep the series fresh.

tdenton1138

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2007
+1 on coop. MMORPGs are a dime a dozen. Just give me Oblivion quality single player with the possibility of having a friend drop in.

xrome

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
I'm sure in in the minority of gamers when I say I dread that they add multiplayer to the game. Multiplayer slowly but surely kills single player games. Keep Elder Scrolls as the premier single player gaming experience, please.

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
if they came out with a elder scrolls MMORPG and did it right I would insta quit wow lol. They could have areas based on the games allready out. For example Skyrim could be an expansion and the area could be much the same if not exactly the same as the 1 player game :)

dapneym

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2008
I would love to have a co-op option for Skyrim. My friend and I always wanted to play Oblivion together, but obviously couldn't. I think it would make a nice addition, and would definitely give me even more reason to buy it when it comes out.

tacoslave

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Anomalyx[/nom]I think if they keep multiplayer functionality simple, it will avoid harming the gameplay. For example, it could use a host/guest system, where nothing would change when a guest joined except for having an extra blade running around with you (maybe bump difficulty as more players join, too). Other things to implement would be trading, and division of loot, but a multiplayer schema that simple likelywouldn't negatively affect the game.[/citation]

Like Demon Souls?

Hunter_Killers

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2003
There only needs to be compromises if you designed it that way, like pausing the entire world because someone talked to an NPC. Oblivion/Skyrim would be even better if it had at the very minimum co-op capability with mod support.

NWN certainly didn't become a lesser game because it had multiplayer. But personally my friend and I were dissapointed when DA was announced to not have it at all.

b23h

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
"Recently BioWare admitted that it's looking into developing a MMOG based in the Dead Space universe."

I tend to think that statement is an error. I think Bioware is thinking about a MMOG based around Mass Effect. What I've heard about BioWare's interest in Dead Space is they are thinking of incorporating a Dead Space like HUD in Mass Effect 3.

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
The environment's different than a solo game. You can make lasting changes to things, clearing dungeons or whatever, and the next time you go to see Gruel the Ghastly, he's still dead. With an MMO, he'd be back in a few minutes, otherwise everything would be dead fairly quickly.

That's just one of the simpler differences, MMORPG's are trying to cater to solo players too much already, solo RPG's don't need to cater to multiplayers and further muddy everything to blandness.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I have the same sentiments are others here. I'd love it if they could include coop if it doesn't affect single player dev much. It would be awesome to be able to play with a couple of friends. I guess managing quests, different player levels, etc could be a bit of work, but it would be so much fun.

I'm actually really surprised that Bethesda hasn't already started work on an Elder Scrolls MMO. Considering that MMOs are all the rage and TES has arguably the largest amount of content of any game series. Not saying I really want that, but I'm surprised their not jumping on the bandwagon.

G

I loved Elderscrolls, but it got lonely playing alone. That's the nice thing about Guildwars, Gears of War, Halo - you make friends online and have fun playing together. Yes, there are jerks once in a while, but you avoid them. As Facebook shows, people are social animals and don't want to be alone (most people at least). Without a question, whoever establishes multiplayer first on consoles will take the lead. They better get it.

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
I loved Elderscrolls, but it got lonely playing alone. That's the nice thing about Guildwars, Gears of War, Halo - you make friends online and have fun playing together. Yes, there are jerks once in a while, but you avoid them. As Facebook shows, people are social animals and don't want to be alone (most people at least). Without a question, whoever establishes multiplayer first on consoles will take the lead. They better get it.
Guess the point is nobody just plays one game. So if there is no way to make multi player happen without dumbing down single player than I say no thank you. If I feel the need to be social I play a MMO or better yet go to the bar lol. Sometimes I just like playing a good game with a good story line. And being that Bethesda is one of the few company's turning out good games with good storys , if they say they dont think they can do it without tanking the single player aspects I am inclined to trust them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS