Elder Scrolls Online Announcement Trailer, Leaked Screens

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

We need this shit on Xbox and PS3. Don't see what the damn problem is.

Zuesacoatl

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2008
[citation][nom]johnmon[/nom]We need this shit on Xbox and PS3. Don't see what the damn problem is.[/citation]

I LAWLd pretty hard

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
"We have been working hard to create an online world in which players will be able to experience the epic Elder Scrolls universe with their friends, something fans have long said they wanted,"

I think fans have long said they wanted was to experience the epic Elder Scrolls universe with their friends, which, in my dictionary, means multiplayer, not MMO. I only hope it makes things instanced to parties, like Guild Wars.

Oh, and that they don't charge $15 a month to play. That is sooo last decade.

FenrirXIII

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2006
As the great duke would say...Make a mess like the best, die like the rest...
Hot bar with macros to activate abilities used constantly instead of past mechanics: check
Quests where you right wrongs, straight up greed ancient item hunting, long dungeons: check
Re-skinned EQ with WOW plugins/updates - remains to be seen, but (most likely: check)
Destined to flare to 1m subscribers then slowly parachute down to 200k in 6 months to a year, all the while eventually turning into FTP model because the corporate big wigs have to salvage some sort of money out of the game?: also remains to be seen, but more than likely. I will stand behind the next MMO that boldly challenges all concepts related to WOW and EQ and isn't some small indie project. I want a AAA MMO, and I want it to not be a cookie cutter. Come on corporates...get with the program. Or go die you old bags so the young guys can make the companies do what the younger crowds really want.

tl:dr don't get your hopes up, you'll think you can play it like oblivion or skyrim but in co-op mode, but really you'll be playing an EQ/WOW formula and the gameplay/mechanics won't feel like a TES game, thus destroying whatever lore + immersion combo the single player TES games have always given us. They will never capture the single player experience in an MMO if they are already announcing the mindset of 'it will feature all the genre standards and progression mechanics'. That really translates to: cookie-cutter, we aren't going to try to do our own thing even though every company before us has done the same and failed to be the next blockbuster MMO'

sp0nger

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
i wont be picking this up,

SWOTOR couldnt even topple WOW (even tho its doing well) and it was designed as an MMO

Elder scrolls is a RPG single player experiance being translated into an MMO

It stands no chance

sixpac502

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
I wonder how long its going to take the Chinese and Koreans to take over the game economy and ruin it for everybody just like all the other MMO games.

korinu

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
I've always wanted TES games to be co-op but not an MMO. It'll just destroy the feel of the game.
Well Bethesda... you fucked up Oblivion and Skyrim by mainstreaming the TES RPG legacy... cant wait for a whole new disappointment that ruins the games i loved as a kid.
GIVE ME BACK SPEARS AND MEDIUM ARMOR!!

banaanc

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
from Skyrim(post Oblivion crisis) lore they could make good old wow clone with 2 or 2+1 nations and whatnot, but it wont be TES, you cant have TES game with some broken mechanics/bugs/etc like 100% reflect damage, sick gear enchantments, possibility to finish game in about 5 minutes and other stuff that creates godmode later in the game :D

they could make a good mmorpg(if they dont follow old tab targeting with skill = how many buttons you have on mouse and how many keybinds you can hit with your face) but i doubt they can make real TES mmorpg, it would be just better if they made tes VI thats not dumbed down for console crowd

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
Sounds pretty terrible actually. Don't personally play MMO's because the art styles, game mechanics, and and almost total lack of story have always been turn off. Why Bethesda would copy SW:TOR, which copied WoW, which copied EQ on all three fronts is beyond me.

Maybe there's technical challenges but so, so many of these MMO's are devoid of any sort of originality that it's just easy as pie to ignore the entire genre.

DawnTreader

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2009
[citation][nom]BigMack70[/nom]Looks lousy... when is someone gonna make an MMO with decent graphics?[/citation]

ah... do you have any idea of the mechanics of how a massively multiplayer game works? if the client and server have too much work load and information to send back and forth you get lag, and lots of it.

it is really a trade off, really pretty and really laggy, or super quick and super ugly.

i agree that this is a bad idea for Bethesda. it is not going to look like what TES fans expect, it is not going to have the same feel as TES single player and when players who dont know before hand those facts plat expecting skyrim they are going to loose thier calm...

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I've used many game engines. I don't think Bethesda made a mistake in chosing the hero engine. The hero engine does many things right and gives alot of control to the level designer. For an online game, its definetly one of the best engines to use. The only engine that compares for mmos is Big World, and thats probably not going to work well with the design philosophy behind Elder Scrolls.

I agree with the "Skyrim with 2 or 3 friends" idea. I'd enjoy an MMORPG with parties similar to Borderlands size. But 40 person raids? Well...I guess MMORPG players want something different from me.

That said, I hope they don't butcher the original game like SWTOR does. I played part of the opening planet when SWTOR was free that weekend. And the game mechanics were so broken (respawning idiotic enemies), it was impossible to get immersed. It's just such a far cry from the original KOTOR.

[citation][nom]DawnTreader[/nom]ah... do you have any idea of the mechanics of how a massively multiplayer game works? if the client and server have too much work load and information to send back and forth you get lag, and lots of it.it is really a trade off, really pretty and really laggy, or super quick and super ugly.[/citation]What does the server have to do with the quality of textures on the local computer? The server doesn't need to process all the polygons--just key ones for hit detection, so the polygon count and texture size can be independent of data transferred if they're run off the local computer, as they usually are? Or am I missing something here?

I'd always assumed MMORPG graphics just suck because they're old. WOW looked fine in 2004, when the Beta came out. And a spit shine is only gonna keep something looking okay for so long. The main reason SWTOR graphics are so bad is because they want people with garbage computers to be able to play it, I assume.

Status
Not open for further replies.