Elder Scrolls Online Rated M; Bethesda Won't Compromise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to bad it is a piece of crap multiplayer. I have no use what so ever for any multiplayer only game and never will. I feel this will be the end of yet another great game franchise destroyed by this kind of mutilation!

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
These ratings are fully irrelevant. Kids/teens will get their hands on them anyway.
The ratings are they for parents to know the content in the game. Its up to parents on how they wish to enforce things.Its like cigarettes or alcohol, You don't necessarily legalize it for kids since some may "get their hands on them anyway." ,,,

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
ESRB ratings mean nothing since its completely voluntary. Especially if you do not plan to distribute through retail outlets. The main thing it does is protect you from lawsuits.Its not like Alcohol or Cigarettes, there is no government mandated restrictions on age for video games. Same applies to movies.I think Bethesda was wondering how they can waste more money on the title, so they hired some actors instead of 50 people off the street.

True enough, but violence or sexual content in games are not something most parents will see as harmful to a child as it's not physical like cigarettes or alcohol. Most parents don't really realize what these ratings are too, plus kids or teens can get a hold of games so much more easy than a smoke or a drink.

Things have changed these days. Gaming was much less violent in the days of Mario and Zelda, but today it's very violent and sexualized when may have some impact on kids mentally.

These ratings are definitely unnecessary and irrelevant which is shown by the developer as they know full well an M rating will not affect sales more than 0.001%; this is a good thing to as developers should not be get rid of content for a rating. It's a bit silly too that games where you kill people and monsters violently is not mature rated anyway.

coffeecoffee

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
That's exactly what I was thinking. It's fairly common for kids in middle school (grade 6-8) to play Skyrim these days. While I'm sure these ratings can make or break a game (to a certain degree), it's still largely irrelevant. What's relevant is Bethesda staying true to their game. Game on~

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
These ratings are fully irrelevant. Kids/teens will get their hands on them anyway.
Good. I am glad I was not restricted by these BS ratings as a kid. Much less time to game nowadays, wouldn't have played all the games I played without ratings. GTA series, for instance - why do I have to be 16-18 to play that? I was 12 when I started with GTA3 and would have played Vice City and SA too back then if they ran on my laptop - had to wait till 15 till I had a more capable one. To be honest, GTA was extremely helpful in helping me learn English. I spit on all the stupid "ratings" - why is it okay to show violent and morally wrong crap on TV but not okay for kids to play GTA (in most cases much less violent than some TV stuff)?
t's fairly common for kids in middle school (grade 6-8) to play Skyrim these days.
Grade 6-8? What's that age group, 13-15 years old? I played Morrowind when I was 15, I don't see why Skyrim isn't appropriate for that age.

Who even cares, as a contender of the BETA and a regular MMORPG player I can surely say that there are way better MMORPGs out there that doesn't require you to pay a monthly fee. The game will surely end up to be F2P due to lack of players.

Drejeck

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
When I was 8 I was shocked with the demo-intro menu of Doom, immediately shutdown, and it took me 3 weeks to win that fear. Now everytime I recall it I think of that fear and how good that game was. This was achieved by another game only, Dead Space 2, and I was child no more! I played it only in daytime!Actually I played the beta of TESO and I don't see where the M is. Maybe the blood or some cruel decision but an M is kind of over-rating to me. It's always good to know for parents anyway that their children won't go jumping off a window to emulate superman or start a gunfight or worse like you do in GTA (not criticizing the game but the people who play them).There is a child I know that plays a lot COD and the likes on PSN and he was loudly thrash-talking to his companions, I mean, that's something I won't allow to my children. Maybe the M rating should be on every online game and have parents to oversees player behaviour.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
well, you just have to open a random Call of Duty game and enter a random server with mic chat and youll see just how many parents give a damn about the esrb M ratings...

sjc1017

Distinguished
May 4, 2011
Are there mechanisms in place that I am unaware of or are these ratings a complete waste of time? My nephews play on all the latest games that they get from me and they are dependent on adults to purchase them for them. These ratings are not like film ratings where people used to have to pass through a check point at point of purchase to watch the film, now people buy games online anyway. I assume these are very cushy well paid jobs.

Grandmastersexsay

Honorable
May 16, 2013
Next time someone tells you that violent video games turn people into serial killers, ask them what type of video games would a serial killer like. When they say there is a strong correlation between violent video games and violent crime, tell them there is a strong correlation between ice cream sales and drowning. If they still don't get it, give up and walk away.

I don't understand why MMOs have ratings to begin with... they always come with a warning that says "online interactions not rated". WTH do you do with an MMO if you're not having online interactions? and we all know those will be rated M

Status
Not open for further replies.