Question Can feel electric current on the metal keyboard case when barefooted ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 15, 2020
Specs:
MOBO: B450M MORTAR MAX
CPU: R5 3600X
RAM: corsair vengeance rgb pro 3200cl16
GPU: MSI RX 580 4GB GDDR5
PSU: SEASONIC FOCUS 650FX GOLD 650W 80+

Think this could be a PSU issue?
After I turned it off, I touched the back of my case and it shocked me.
I have tried unplugging the power cable from the extension and plugged it directly into a wall with grounding outlet and I can still feel the tingling.
I also tried plugging my keyboard into a different USB port.
Not sure if its the climate here ( I live in PH)
and I don't even know if it is still safe to play.

Dec 15, 2020
This is an issue in your house electrical system. Left uncorrected it could potentially be deadly to someone.

Could you explain to me how did you come to this conclusion? Thanks!
I have been living in the same condo for more than a decade and been using the pc for almost 2 years but this is the first time ive had this issue.

Last edited:
Could you explain to me how did you come to this conclusion? Thanks!
I have been living in the same condo for more than a decade and been using the pc for almost 2 years but this is the first time ive had this issue.
40+ years of electrical experience is where I come to this conclusion. If the electrical system is properly wired and grounded there is NO current flowing through the chassis. Just because you haven't encountered this before is not proof that no problem exists.

Dec 15, 2020
40+ years of electrical experience is where I come to this conclusion. If the electrical system is properly wired and grounded there is NO current flowing through the chassis. Just because you haven't encountered this before is not proof that no problem exists.

Thanks for the response. I will surely have these outlets checked sooner. I would just like to ask your opinion on my friend’s response.

He said that maybe there are too many devices plugged into my board and that I might not have my standoffs installed.

He is right on the first one and I’m not sure about the standoffs because I just followed the chassis’ manual. What do you think?
Could missing standoffs be causing my problem?

Ralston18

Titan
@RyzenNoob

OP clearly stated feeling the "tingling". That is not static electricity. And the sensation may come and go if the basis is some make and break electrical short.

And depending on the footware a static shock might just be made worse depending on how many electrons get "scraped up", build up, and seek a discharge path back to ground/earth.

Electrical systems can fail for any number of reasons. Fortunately OP was given a "warning". Otherwise thing could have ended quite differently.....

@ex-bubblehead is correct.

Also this:

"Gee whizz the answers are appalling "

Read the forum rules regarding behavior and comments.

AlexTheFern

Notable
Jan 21, 2021
Specs:
MOBO: B450M MORTAR MAX
CPU: R5 3600X
RAM: corsair vengeance rgb pro 3200cl16
GPU: MSI RX 580 4GB GDDR5
PSU: SEASONIC FOCUS 650FX GOLD 650W 80+

Think this could be a PSU issue?
After I turned it off, I touched the back of my case and it shocked me.
I have tried unplugging the power cable from the extension and plugged it directly into a wall with grounding outlet and I can still feel the tingling.
I also tried plugging my keyboard into a different USB port.
Not sure if its the climate here ( I live in PH)
and I don't even know if it is still safe to play.
did you install you standoffs correctly in your case?

Thanks for the response. I will surely have these outlets checked sooner. I would just like to ask your opinion on my friend’s response.

He said that maybe there are too many devices plugged into my board and that I might not have my standoffs installed.

He is right on the first one and I’m not sure about the standoffs because I just followed the chassis’ manual. What do you think?
Could missing standoffs be causing my problem?
did you install you standoffs correctly in your case?
Neither missing/incorrectly installed standoffs or too many devices plugged into the board will place line voltage on the case as line voltage is never present at the motherboard. It's either something miswired in the walls or a fault on the AC side of the power supply.

RyzenNoob

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
@RyzenNoob

OP clearly stated feeling the "tingling". That is not static electricity. And the sensation may come and go if the basis is some make and break electrical short.

And depending on the footware a static shock might just be made worse depending on how many electrons get "scraped up", build up, and seek a discharge path back to ground/earth.

Electrical systems can fail for any number of reasons. Fortunately OP was given a "warning". Otherwise thing could have ended quite differently.....

@ex-bubblehead is correct.

Also this:

"Gee whizz the answers are appalling "

Read the forum rules regarding behavior and comments.
He said he felt it afterwards, not before

Dec 15, 2020
It is not static. I know pretty well how it feels because I used to play with it when I was a kid.
I have been experiencing it this past week while gaming so even before. Forgot to mention that when I unplugged my keyboard’s usb connector, I accidentally touched the end of the cable and it buzzed me. When I went to a store, they said my its my PSU failing, then I went to another one and they said my PSU is still good. They just said to not put my feet on the ground. But its very uncomfortable and might have health issues

I’m using Rakk Haliya M. The standoffs on my case are integrated. But maybe I can just ask them to install different standoffs. My mains cable still looks good though. And the 3 prong wall socket also.

Thanks for all the replies.

RyzenNoob

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
It is not static. I know pretty well how it feels because I used to play with it when I was a kid.
I have been experiencing it this past week while gaming so even before. Forgot to mention that when I unplugged my keyboard’s usb connector, I accidentally touched the end of the cable and it buzzed me. When I went to a store, they said my its my PSU failing, then I went to another one and they said my PSU is still good. They just said to not put my feet on the ground. But its very uncomfortable and might have health issues

I’m using Rakk Haliya M. The standoffs on my case are integrated. But maybe I can just ask them to install different standoffs. My mains cable still looks good though. And the 3 prong wall socket also.

Thanks for all the replies.
Isn't your PSU grounded?

Dec 15, 2020
Isn't your PSU grounded?
Yes I would assume it is. I've been using the same PC/PSU for 2 years straight. The power cable doesn't show any signs of wear and tear. I'm just wondering why it would show up now. I remember I bent a capacitor but not really that bad. Is it going to affect my PSU?

RyzenNoob

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
Yes I would assume it is. I've been using the same PC/PSU for 2 years straight. The power cable doesn't show any signs of wear and tear. I'm just wondering why it would show up now. I remember I bent a capacitor but not really that bad. Is it going to affect my PSU?

Depends on the capacitor or what the capacitor actually does and how much you bent it. Why would you go around prodding around in a PSU in the first place? It has a very dangerous voltage on one capacitor, that is likely to embed you on a wall, with you being either very lucky or unlucky

Last edited:

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
Does it happens if you touch the fridge or something else that isn't the computer?

The obvious answer here would be: wear shoes
But, if you're in for investigating I'd say check your outlet, if it's 2 prong just turn around the plug and see what happens, if it's 3 make sure the earth pin is wired to something.

Dec 15, 2020
Does it happens if you touch the fridge or something else that isn't the computer?

The obvious answer here would be: wear shoes
But, if you're in for investigating I'd say check your outlet, if it's 2 prong just turn around the plug and see what happens, if it's 3 make sure the earth pin is wired to something.
No it does not. My outlet is 3 prong and we never had any issues with it or on any part of the house. Is it possible my psu is leaking current caused by humidity and moist?

Edit:
I can still feel a little bit of tingling on my keyboard while touching my keycaps even when my feet is not touching the ground

Update:
Last night my pc randomly rebooted for about 3-4 times while playing.
Already called the electrician and said there is no problem with grounding.
Went to a pc shop and had my unit cleaned and fully checked.
Last resort: Bought a UPS to protect my pc, bought a plastic keyboard and hoping the electric shock will go away

Last edited:
No it does not. My outlet is 3 prong and we never had any issues with it or on any part of the house. Is it possible my psu is leaking current caused by humidity and moist?

Edit:
I can still feel a little bit of tingling on my keyboard while touching my keycaps even when my feet is not touching the ground

Update:
Last night my pc randomly rebooted for about 3-4 times while playing.
Already called the electrician and said there is no problem with grounding.
Went to a pc shop and had my unit cleaned and fully checked.
Last resort: Bought a UPS to protect my pc, bought a plastic keyboard and hoping the electric shock will go away
Just because your outlet is 3-prong does not mean it's properly wired.

Where is 'PH', where you live? No initials, please, spell it out.

I'd see about having a licensed electrician install something we call a Ground Fault Interrupter (GFI), other places it's called a Residual Current Device (RCD), on the circuit where that outlet is located.

Dec 15, 2020
Just because your outlet is 3-prong does not mean it's properly wired.

Where is 'PH', where you live? No initials, please, spell it out.

I'd see about having a licensed electrician install something we call a Ground Fault Interrupter (GFI), other places it's called a Residual Current Device (RCD), on the circuit where that outlet is located.
Sorry. I’m in the Philippines. Btw, I had a maintenance man come over to my place and replace my outlet. I don’t think the man was an electrician cause he never heard of a GFCI before. I bought a 3 prong outlet for $4 as a replacement and I noticed when I plugged in my old keyboard which has a metal part that the shock is totally gone. Thanks for all the help! Maybe my outlet had gone moist because there was a leak from my airconditioner before the shock started happening and it kind of flooded the room a bit. The outlet was just beside the AC.

Sorry. I’m in the Philippines. Btw, I had a maintenance man come over to my place and replace my outlet. I don’t think the man was an electrician cause he never heard of a GFCI before....

I don't think so either...certainly not licensed.

That's Phillippine code requirements for GFCI's.

I'm glad your outlet is fixed, but if he's not aware of GFCI's I'd be worried it's done safely.

Status
Not open for further replies.