Electric shock from USB Cables plugged into my desktop USB

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnTouchGamingHD

Reputable
Jan 17, 2015
I currently have a custom built PC i bought back in 2016. Recently this past week, when i was charging my phone via the usb port on my computer case (NZXT H440) i could feel a buzzing sensation whenever i touch the home button of my iphone which was near the port. I decided to plug it out of my phone and touch the cable end directly with my hands and i could feel the buzzing sensation. I tried it on another port in my room and it doesn't seem to occur so i suspect it might be something wrong with my computer. I also tried another usb cable which was used to charge a portable USB lamp and i got a greater electric shock from it when i touched the cable connected to my computer usb port.

Can anyone pin point me the issue if it could be because i'm not grounded, or the motherboard problem or even the power supply? Thanks in advance!

TLDR, anything connected to the usb port of my computer gives out a small electric shock and i do not know what the issue it.

Solution
Sounds like your computer case isn't properly electrically grounded as it should normally be via the PSU's ground pin. That's typically either due to a bad power cord, extension or bad site wiring and can be a shock/electroduction hazard.

InvalidError

Titan
Sounds like your computer case isn't properly electrically grounded as it should normally be via the PSU's ground pin. That's typically either due to a bad power cord, extension or bad site wiring and can be a shock/electroduction hazard.

Solution

InvalidError

Titan
The computer shop won't be able to do anything if the issue is bad electrical ground in your home/apartment or power strips.

The only thing in your PC that could possibly cause the computer and anything else connected to it to have a significant leakage voltage on it would be a missing ground connection between the IEC plug ground and the PSU's outputs/chassis to ground the outputs. This sort of problem is rare even in no-name PSUs so I'd be more inclined to suspect power strips and building wiring.

UnTouchGamingHD

Reputable
Jan 17, 2015

Alright thanks alot!

Jun 2, 2019
The computer shop won't be able to do anything if the issue is bad electrical ground in your home/apartment or power strips.

The only thing in your PC that could possibly cause the computer and anything else connected to it to have a significant leakage voltage on it would be a missing ground connection between the IEC plug ground and the PSU's outputs/chassis to ground the outputs. This sort of problem is rare even in no-name PSUs so I'd be more inclined to suspect power strips and building wiring.

Hello error, i just joined the forum to ask you a question. Hopefully I'm not misusing the forum or breaking the rules by asking within someone's thread.

So I used to have a cheap HEC PSU that ran well for 5 years, but I always had the issue of getting shocked through any scratched/unpainted part of the case or through touching any USB or anything in the rear IO or even the front panel sockets. Then I decided to upgrade it as I started to recognize how critical a PSU is to the system and how serious can a failure be, and I thought an upgrade might solve this issue. Turns out not. I upgraded to a Corsair RM650x (I think I chose a good PSU, right?) and the issue still persists to this day, hell the shocks are now even more intense than the old 400w no-name PSU.

However, from your earlier reply I can see that improper wiring can cause such issues. And the problem is that I have absolutely no ground wiring in my country (it's only existent in companies, universities, etc.) so I cannot even find any ground rod near my building that I can ground my outlet to. So, is there any possible solution for this? Even if it's any "ghetto" solution I can do for now? Honestly I cannot deal with being unable to connect any of my valuable devices to the PC's USB for 8 years since I started building my PC.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks in advance.

InvalidError

Titan
However, from your earlier reply I can see that improper wiring can cause such issues.
With a good ground, any residual currents would get shunted to ground and the issue would be eliminated. That is the whole reason why so many industrialized countries require grounding in all new constructions.

In building with metal water and sewer pipes, the pipes often get used as an alternative to ground. You need to be sure that there is no PEX, ABS or other non-conductive pipe section between the pipe coming from the street and the place you want to use the pipe as ground from.

Jun 2, 2019
I rechecked the pipes in my building and unfortunately it's all PVC, except for the gas pipes which are metal, but I don't think it's wise to ground electricity into a natural gas pipe. I think I'm out of luck at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.