Question Electric Socket Producing Electric 'hissing' sound when PC is running

Yanzir

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
I have a Ryzen setup, with an RX580.

I have a 500W PSU right now, which i know is not sufficient, but i plan on replacing it as soon as i have the funds to do so.

the problem is, i have recently noticed that the power socket my extension board is plugged into, produces electrical sounds when the PC is running. the sounds often go on for some time and stop and some times, they are just momentary and stop after a second.

I have tried to narrow dow the cause by using different power sockets and noticed that the hissing sound only occurs when the PC is powered on or is running. So that eliminates the Monitor from being a culprit. It might mean that the PC might be pulling in more power, but i am not sure, so please do feel free to let me know why would this occur.

the problem is, im scared to death of electrical damage to my PC.

What should i do to resolve this ?

should i buy a Computer Stabilizer ( a Servo Motor ) or should i get the PSU replaced first ?

which one would be the better and more safer option ?

Yanzir

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010

1. I live in Karachi, Pakistan.
2. the hissing sound comes from the Wall. I tried using another different wall socket in another part of the room and the hissing sound came from there as well.

Yanzir

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010

don't have another power supply. and i'm not sure if i'd remember how to connect all the wires from Mobo to PSU connectors ( never done that before )

i will probably buy a brand new PSU and get it fitted into my PC and also use a servo motor just to be safe. if you think there could be an alternative solution or some additional steps taken to ensure system safety, do let me know.

Thank you