Question Electrical buzzing coming from gpu perhaps

Apr 20, 2019
Hello, guys, I have bought gigabyte gaming oc pro rev1 rtx 2060. After 30-50 mins of playing Rainbow Six Siege I have started to hear an electrical buzzing coming from case. If I minimize the game, that noise stops. If I don't minimize the game, after some time the screen goes black, probably videocard shuts down. Next times when noise again had happened, I just minimized the game, didn't want to risk. What should I do?

There is a demonstration of that sound:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJNvn8YnZts

Apr 20, 2019
Which PSU Model are you using to power up that RTX 2060 card ?

Not sure if it is coming from GPU or PSU. How can I check it for sure?
This is it: http://www.deepcool.com/product/powersupply/2016-01/10_4516.shtml

Before that, with same PSU was another RTX 2060, it was GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2060 OC . As I remeber there wasn't such a noise, but I don't think I used it more than 30 mins, cause it was reaching high temps too fast.

PC specs:
Ryzen 5 1600 not OC
RTX 2060 1830 mhz
1 ssd, 2 hdd's

Last edited:
I honestly don't think that DEEP COOL power unit is of high quality. Doesn't look like a very reliable unit, to power up that RTX GPU.....Though, if this was a high quality PSU, then you should have been fine. I won't actually recommend using this PSU to power up such a high-end GPU.

I still feel your current PSU isn't the very best in terms of quality/efficiency etc. Though, others can correct me if I'm wrong....I would surely grab a decent quality high TIER, 550 Watts PSU to power that GPU. You shouldn't risk using a generic/cheap PSU.

EDIT: Is that power unit even 80-PLUS certified ?

Apr 20, 2019
I still feel your current PSU isn't the very best in terms of quality/efficiency etc. Though, others can correct me if I'm wrong....I would surely grab a decent quality high TIER, 550 Watts PSU to power that GPU. You shouldn't risk using a generic/cheap PSU.

https://outervision.com/b/gDLtMf
Just calculated on that site power consumption and it's says ~460 W while PSU base Output is 400 W. Is it ok?

EDIT: Is that power unit even 80-PLUS certified ?

Don't think so.

An RTX 2060 GPU requires a high quality 500 Watts PSU as the minimum recommend. Yes, your PSU model has total output as 400 WATTS, though the PEAK POWER is 530 Watts. But, the peak power is just the maximum power that the power supply can sustain for a short time.

The aim of having the peak power is to ensure that the PSU will be able to handle load spikes, and protect it, hence preventing spikes from damaging the supply.
But, I don't think we should be taking the peak power value into consideration, in your case though.....

0b2aed62-f8b8-4b1f-a5a8-3908cfa7071b.png

Last edited:
So I should buy a PSU with at least 500 output?

If you ask for my opinion, then I would surely say YES. Even though your current deep cool PSU might be okay, I won't actually recommend this PSU for the RTX 2060. Looks like a generic power unit to me. Grab some other high quality PSU from reputed brands like EVGA, SEASONIC, CORSAIR, ANTEC....just to name a few. Never SKIMP on the PSU, since this is the MOST important PC component...

Let others also chime in though......................................

BTW, on a side note off topic note, I just wanted to say that a lot of peeps actually SKIMP on the PSU. And most importantly, many aren't even fully aware that WATTAGE number alone means nothing when it comes to any power supply.

The main concern is the "quality" of the power, the quality of the components used/CAPS, as well as the total AMP drawn on the +12V RAIL (output), the efficiency under load, "ripple suppression", among other factors.

The total wattage number of any PSU is not always really the most important deciding factor, primary concern is the 'quality' of power it produces, and the total capacity of the 12V source etc.

Though how the rails are laid out does not affect that much, i.e. single/multiple +12V rail PSUs. Multi-rail PSU can be mildly better, especially with high wattage unit, but it won't have any impact on your performance, however, it can provide an extra layer of safety in case you get a short circuit. A multi-rail power supply has OCP on all +12V rails, ensuring that your PC components stay alive, if a problem like a short circuit occurs.

A cheap generic/standard low-end PSU is prone to failure soon, than the units made by reputed brands like SEASONIC, Corsair, BE QUIET, EVGA Supernova, PC Power & Cooling, ANTEC, XFX, Super Flower, OCZ, just to name a few. The OEM also matters a lot, instead of the actual PSU brand. I've seen PSUs labelled as 1K watts, but in actual real world scenarios, they can hardly pull 400 Watts from the wall, even under full load.

I've always given the topmost priority to PSU when building any RIG, and I mostly go for Tier 1 and/or Tier 2 units, because we know a TITANIUM/Platinum/Gold PSU is going to be much more efficient under 50% load, than a bronze/silver or a generic 80 plus certified PSU. But the exact Wattage requirement still varies from system to system, and if we plan to Overclock the GPU/CPU, then the PSU should have some headroom as well.

Hello Again,

I forgot to ask this before. Do you have any spare PSU so that you can check/test your PC ? Or better yet, try using some other GPU, assuming you have one, or you can borrow from your friend ? Doing this will narrow down the issue, and if the same problem occurs on a different Video card, then all doubt goes on your current PSU model.

Apr 20, 2019
I forgot to ask this before. Do you have any spare PSU so that you can check/test your PC ? Or better yet, try using some other GPU, assuming you have one, or you can borrow from your friend ? Doing this will narrow down the issue, and if the same problem occurs on a different Video card, then all doubt goes on your current PSU model.

I was using gtx 1060 6gb on same PSU, no problems. Haven't heard any noises like this.
Thanks for the post above yours. I'll try to buy a better PSU, maybe that will help

What do you think about these ones?
https://www.xilence.net/en/power-supplies/12
https://seasonic.com/s12ii
https://antec.com/product/power/ne650m.php

Last edited:
I was using gtx 1060 6gb on same PSU, no problems. Haven't heard any noises like this.
Thanks for the post above yours. I'll try to buy a better PSU, maybe that will help

Okay then...Not a problem at all. If the GTX 1060 worked fine before, then doubt goes on the new RTX series GPUs. Should you plan to use/buy some other PSU to power the RTX 2060, then kindly update this thread on the results.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
It's hard to say, given that it's a cycling noise, I'd suggest a fan unless I'm listening to your wrong sound.

There's no guarantee that the electrical buzzing is the power supply, but one of the problems with an extremely low-end power supply is that in order to diagnose a non-obvious problem, the first thing you have to do is eliminate that power supply. A junky power supply can be the direct cause of problems, but also an indirect cause, by causing damage to components, suddenly or over time.

Just like someone remodeling your bathroom won't put in new tiles if there's a problem with the subfloor, a good power supply is always the first step of a repair if there isn't already a good one in there.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.