[Electrical Earthing Problem at Home] Killed MoBo - Suggestions Needed!

008Rohit

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
1,093
0
19,360
The internal electrical wirings of our 8yr old flat isn't good enough.
I've used a 7yr old Pentium 4 PC and it worked just fine.
However, The motherboard of my new PC died 17 days ago while I was playing a game.
I have a VERY cheap Frontech PSU (+12V - 18A) which came with my 20$ case.
The motherboard wasn't faulty for sure. When the PC was on, I could hear noise from the speakers connected in the PC if I switch on/off the fan or light of another room. My old PC.was hit by lightning once when it was off, and the mobo got killed.

Intel replaced my MoBo and shipped a new one (I'll get it in the next 3-4 days). I'll buy a Corsair CX430 just to be on the safe side.

So, what do you think I should do? We have two MCBs fitted on the main electrical board.
 

That was your warning that you did have some kind of ground problem. How long did you ignore it before your motherboard fried?
 

008Rohit

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
1,093
0
19,360
Stand-off?

The person who assembled it in the store fitted six screws and nothing else to make the MoBo sit inside the case.
The case is an ultra cheap and small MicroATX one. There was a black rubbery object which also went inside a hole of the MoBo from the case.
 

4745454b

Titan
Moderator
No. If you screwed the mobo to the case without the standoffs every time I've seen this happen it won't power up. The thing to do is to find out if you have bad wiring, or if it was just the cheap PSU. I'm not sure how to check the wiring. Getting the CX430 should fix the issue if it was just a bad PSU.
 

008Rohit

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
1,093
0
19,360
At first the store guy assembled the parts for me for free as my father was thinking that I might damage the parts because I'm 13. (meaningless)

It was running fine but the processor temp. reached upto 75C while gaming. I opened up the case after an week and saw the wiring was very poor. So I refitted everything myself this time. The machine then hanged to "Starting Windows" screen. A system restore solved the issue. After that the PC was running better than before for one week until it finally died.

That cheapo 450W PSU reports that it can deliver "ONLY" 18AMPS through +12V rails.

Should I replace the case too? (Its a small MicroATX case, and the PSU is ATX. Strange!)
 

008Rohit

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
1,093
0
19,360
I just called an electrician and he came in our house and tested the power sockets and my Surge Protector. He says earthing is 100% OK. So is the power cable.

My old PC doesn't give me any shocks where as the new one does. So the only thing left is the PSU, right? Replacing it with a Corsair one is gonna solve my issue?
 

TRENDING THREADS