Question Electrical interference blacks out the monitor. Does it damage circuits?

drosehill

Reputable
Aug 1, 2017
I have a three monitor array hooked up to a UPS.

I also have electric blinds in my home office.

Whenever I move the blinds up/down when my computer is in operation, one of the monitors goes black momentarily. It is always the same monitor and the one that is closest to the blinds — although the blinds are wired directly and my monitor is on the UPS.

My question is whether this electrical interference could actually be damaging the monitor? Previously, one of my monitors failed after exhibiting this behavior. And I worry that the same thing is about to happen again.

I can't think of a solution to prevent this as they are already on separate circuits and, as we rent, I can't really alter the blind motor.

Any thoughts on whether damage is possible from this interference?

Joshua Fredricks

Honorable
Jul 27, 2015
I have a three monitor array hooked up to a UPS.

I also have electric blinds in my home office.

Whenever I move the blinds up/down when my computer is in operation, one of the monitors goes black momentarily. It is always the same monitor and the one that is closest to the blinds — although the blinds are wired directly and my monitor is on the UPS.

My question is whether this electrical interference could actually be damaging the monitor? Previously, one of my monitors failed after exhibiting this behavior. And I worry that the same thing is about to happen again.

I can't think of a solution to prevent this as they are already on separate circuits and, as we rent, I can't really alter the blind motor.

Any thoughts on whether damage is possible from this interference?
Well start with the basics, I saw this and saw no reply yet now looking at your breaker box is your home office all on one breaker meaning the whole office have one circuit or are the blinds on there own breaker for the office in the breaker box wasn't to sure if you ment that by circuit but its like parking your car and closing the car window when its already shut the lights dim till you let the switch go

Are monitors the same? if you swapped a pair does the other monitor do the same?
The question is it doing damage to the monitor? It depends on what is actually happening. If it's noise from the motor (magnetic field) disturbing the tracing then not real awful. But if it's comming thru power then it's not wanted.

CRT or flatscreen?
What does interference look like? black screen, black flashes?

drosehill

Reputable
Aug 1, 2017
Are monitors the same? if you swapped a pair does the other monitor do the same?
The question is it doing damage to the monitor? It depends on what is actually happening. If it's noise from the motor (magnetic field) disturbing the tracing then not real awful. But if it's comming thru power then it's not wanted.

CRT or flatscreen?
What does interference look like?

Flatscreen / LCD. CRT monitors only bring back memories these days.

The unexpected behavior is that the monitor goes completely black for a few seconds.