Electrical noise coming from my PSU.

syketh

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Hey there,

I've recently become aware of a small noise coming from the back of my PC, right up by the PSU. It's not loud or hindering me using my computer, but i'm just worried incase it gets worse or starts to cause problems.

Just wondering if this is normal, it's an OEM 750 WATT PSU ATX.
If it's on it's way out, would it be worth me upgradding to an 800 WATT PSU? Would there be any requirements when installing a new PSU, or would it just be a case of taking the old one out, and popping the new one in?

beenthere

Distinguished
You could check the PSU mounting screws with the power disconnected from the wall socket overnight, to be sure the PSU is tightly mounted and not vibrating. Depending on how old it is, you would want a reliable replacement PSU that has the proper cables and connectors for your current hardware. Most quality PSU mfgs. tell you what connectors are on their PSUs.

If you want to objectively, accurately and scientifically determine what PSU power is required for your Vid card and PC in both watts and 12v rail amps., the forum Utility link below will show you how easy it is to calculate this information and objectively determine which PSUs are quality built, reliable PSUs that can meet your needs. Be advised that the available 12v rail amps. is just as important as the total PSU wattage. You need both to be correct.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/314712-28-please-read-determine-power-required

syketh

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010

Thanks! Well, it's about two years old or so, perhaps a bit more. Thing is, i've actually got a new GPU on it's way, a GTX 560-Ti. Other than that, I have a X4 955 CPU. So, I think i'll be going for the same PSU or a tad higher. Just worried about the fact that if I get a new one, the trouble I might have installing it, since there's a ton of wires, which will probably result in me pulling my motherboard out... again.

I think much up to date PSU's will have the connectors I need, since the one i'm currently looking at has the following-
1 x 4+4pin CPU +12V
1 x 4pin ATX 12V
5 x 4pin Molex
2 x 6+2pin PCI-E Power
1 x FDD Power
6 x SATA Power

pepe2907

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
Are you sure it's electrical, but not from the fan or other mechanical /vibration/? Anyway it doesn't sound good. And especially if it's really electrical you better change that PSU, because it may cause troubles, even result in burning some other components.

Jan 23, 2019
I know this is an older thread but I had a similar problem and found the answer here, hopefully, if anyone else has the same issue this will help them as well. http://

TRENDING THREADS