Question Electrical noise coming from new EVGA SuperNova 650W PSU

realghostbuster

Reputable
Jan 18, 2019
Hi there,

I recently purchased an "EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3, 80 Plus Gold 650W" PSU with the intention of installing it into my PC to replace my budget PSU "WinPower ATX450". The reason for the replacement was because I hoped to purchase a decent graphics card in the future and the budget WinPower PSU isn't able to accommodate a graphics card.

I installed the EVGA PSU three days ago and from the very beginning it has been annoyingly noisy. The noise I'm talking about is not coming from the fan but from some sort of crackly electrical sound that's inside the PSU. The budget WInPower ATX PSU that was previously installed inside the case made absolutely no sounds other than the fan whereas the far more expensive EVGA PSU is annoyingly noisy.

I've attached a Youtube link to a recording I made of the noise that's coming from my PSU that might give you a better understanding of the sound that I'm trying to describe:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_y0R4UJhGx4&feature=youtu.be

I'm trying to figure out whether the noise indicates that the PSU is defective or whether my ASUS P8H61-M(1155 Socket) motherboard isn't the best fit for these kinds of PSU's?
Or perhaps I'm overly sensitive to the sound that's produced by these kinds of PSU's? It's just a bit weird that my budget WinPower 450W PSU didn't make any noises over the last 8 years but the newly installed and far more expensive EVGA PSU is remarkably noisy....

My specs are as follows:
Intel i5 2500
ASUS P8H61-M
8GB Ram

Any help would be much appreciated!

Kind regards,

Brendan

Last edited:

realghostbuster

Reputable
Jan 18, 2019
I assume you are referring to the "hum". Is that correct? If so, I wouldn't be overly concerned.

Do you have the Eco mode switch on or off?

I don't think I'm referring to the natural hum that PSU's have. The sound that I'm talking about is this low crackly sound. Do you think the video of the PSU sound I've linked in the description sounds more like a natural PSU hum?

Yes there is an Eco switch at the back of the PSU. When I switch it on or off it just enables/disables the fan. The crackly sound remains regardless of whether I switch the Eco switch on or off.

I have to admit that I cannot make out the sound even though I have it on very loud. The EVGA G3 series is a very good line of PSU's. I have the G3 750w and to be honest I cannot even hear it at all in my PC.

Bottom line, if you feel even slightly worried contact EVGA as they have one of the best customer service departments and they will sort it out for you...

One thing I agree on is you do not want a bad power supply.

Reactions: realghostbuster
Nov 2, 2019
I can hear an electrical sparking noise perhaps maybe you need to take out the psu and send it to evga provided you have a warranty and haven't tampered with it. That could be a sign of electrical shorting and maybe could cause the psu to go bang but i am not 100% sure without a few more details

realghostbuster

Reputable
Jan 18, 2019
I can hear an electrical sparking noise perhaps maybe you need to take out the psu and send it to evga provided you have a warranty and haven't tampered with it. That could be a sign of electrical shorting and maybe could cause the psu to go bang but i am not 100% sure without a few more details

I bought the unit off of Amazon.co.uk and I believe that I have a warranty.

Can I ask what more details do you need? Thanks

Last edited:

realghostbuster

Reputable
Jan 18, 2019
I have to admit that I cannot make out the sound even though I have it on very loud. The EVGA G3 series is a very good line of PSU's. I have the G3 750w and to be honest I cannot even hear it at all in my PC.

Bottom line, if you feel even slightly worried contact EVGA as they have one of the best customer service departments and they will sort it out for you...

One thing I agree on is you do not want a bad power supply.
I've sent EVGA an email explaining my issue - Hopefully they'll get back to me in a couple of days. It's just a mild electrical/crackly sound. Almost like how old computers sounded when they booted up. When I'm playing music or video games on the PC I can't hear the sound at all. It's still very annoying though when I'm trying to read something on Wikipedia or something along those lines and I hear that sound in the background. It's quite distracting.

I'm really ignorant to how these things work but the sound definitely wouldn't have anything to do with my motherboard not being able to handle the PSU or something like that? My motherboard is a good few years old. It only has a 4 pin CPU socket not an 8 pin. When I ran the PSU with the "Jumper" plastic device there was no crackly/electrical sound at all. It's only when I installed the PSU into the PC and connected it to the motherboard, hard drives etc that the crackly sound occurs...

Last edited:
Reactions: NightHawkRMX
Nov 2, 2019
I've sent EVGA an email explaining my issue - Hopefully they'll get back to me in a couple of days. It's just a mild electrical/crackly sound. Almost like how old computers sounded when they booted up. When I'm playing music or video games on the PC I can't hear the sound at all. It's still very annoying though when I'm trying to read something on Wikipedia or something along those lines and I hear that sound in the background. It's quite distracting.

I'm really ignorant to how these things work but the sound definitely wouldn't have anything to do with my motherboard not being able to handle the PSU or something like that? My motherboard is a good few years old. It only has a 4 pin CPU socket not an 8 pin. When I ran the PSU with the "Jumper" plastic device there was no crackly/electrical sound at all. It's only when I installed the PSU into the PC and connected it to the motherboard, hard drives etc that the crackly sound occurs...

Wait and see if they send you a replacement and if so you can rule out if it was the PSU if the sound stops or if not it could be the motherboard but at the moment i'm going to have to say it is the power supply. But i had no issues with an older motherboard as i recently went from a core 2 quad to a Ryzen 5 1600 and i no longer get real bad performance and freezing.

realghostbuster

Reputable
Jan 18, 2019
I'm having the same issue. Even stopped the fan and the noise still happens.

Did you get this resolved?
I sent audio of the noise to the EVGA support team but they claimed they could not hear anything in what I sent them. I was upset by their response. Sometimes when I use my computer I have to wear earplugs as the noise is very annoying.

Can you describe the noise that your PSU has?

Reactions: JesseGo