Electrical Safety Question Related to My Home Theater Setup

MasterYoda327

Commendable
May 26, 2019
133
1
1,585
0
I have a an electrical safety question related to my home theater setup. I am no electrical expert. I have all of my home theater components including the TV, sound bar and it subwoofer, 4K disc player, and Roku Ultra (2019) plugged either directly or by extension cord into a surge protector. The surge protector is connected to the wall outlet I will provide a list of the makes and models of my components listed below. Now, due to a combination of the length of some of my components' cables, the position of my wall mounted TV and my wall mounted shelves below it, and the wall's electrical outlet, I needed to use extension cords on some of the components. The sound bar is connected directly to the surge protector. My TV and Roku are plugged into a thick extension cord that has three plugs on one end with the other end of the cord plugged into the surge protector. My subwoofer and 4K disc player are plugged into an average thin house extension cord with three plugs on one end and the other end is connected to the surge protector. The thick extension cord is rated at 13A, 125V, and 1625W. The thin extension cord is rated at 1625 watts and 125 Volts. The surge protector is rated at 15A/120V/1800W and 4500-joule energy rating.

My home theater components are as followed:
TV: LG 55SM8600PUA
4K Disc Player: Sony UBP-X700 4K Disc Player
Sound bar: LG SJ4R Sound Bar
Streaming Device: Roku Ultra (2019)
Surge Protector: Amazon Basics 8-Outlet Power Strip Surge Protector, 4,500 Joule - 6-Foot Cord, Black/Green (Amazon.com: Amazon Basics 8-Outlet Power Strip Surge Protector, 4,500 Joule - 6-Foot Cord, Black/Green : Electronics )

Is my setup safe?

Thanks.
 

OrlyP

Prominent
Aug 20, 2020
232
42
690
42
Nothing there jumps out to me as out of the ordinary, much less, dangerous. As long as they're all electrically grounded (3rd prong on the plugs) to your home, it should be all good.
 

4745454b

Titan
Moderator
What's fun is the question isn't complete. In theory we have no idea what's behind the wall. Meaning we don't know if the grounding is good, or what wiring is being used. If the house is old enough you could have knob and tube wiring back there. We don't know the rating on the circuit breaker, nor do we know what else is connected to that electrical plug. As above, you don't have anything crazy listed there, you should be fine. Or you could have something crazy going on back there.

There was a famous computer help line call years ago where the person calling in complained that every time they flushed their toilet, the PC rebooted. You would think no connection, and the tech was stumped for awhile. Until s/he figured out the caller lived in the boonies and was on a well. The well's pump and PC were on the same circuit, and every time the pump kicked in to fill the toilet tank it caused a brown out. Moving the PC to a different circuit fixed the problem. So you could be fine. Or not. My question is what makes you ask the question? Is your house a problem place? Or are you just paranoid?
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY