Electrical Short Fried My Nvidia 970 GTX, Can I Repair?

SeanOCali

Commendable
Nov 17, 2016
The card is dead from AC power lead zapping the ground of a connected HDMI cable (the motherboard it was plugged into during the incident is also fried but IDC about that, only the GPU). In any working computer this card is plugged into, the PSU will immediate switch off upon powering on. The working status of the card is not in question. Only the solution.

Using a multimeter I have identified that about half of the capacitors are giving continuity while the rest are not. My question is for someone who understands electronics well. Is there a moderate possibility that replacing these capacitors would return the card to working condition? Or is this a pipe dream and that among all the other dozens of tiny circuits, chips and resistors there is without a doubt bound to be more damage than just these 4 capacitors?

Solution
D
You can try replacing the capacitors, but no guarantees. If the GPU is currently dead, you have nothing to lose. I have successfully replaced capacitors on 3 different PCB boards (power supplies for tv and lcd monitiors), but I had to use a soldering gun (not iron) due to the high melting point solder now in use. Depending on how close the various components on the GPU are to each other, with a high temp soldering gun you could cause more problems.

SeanOCali

Commendable
Nov 17, 2016

I'm not too concerned about that. I can pry them off if need be and use regular solder to connect the new legs to the old. I guess I'm hoping someone would be able to tell me the liklihood of the short only blowing these capacitors while not damaging anything else.

The the poster above, RMA not possible it's like 6 months old.

D

Deleted member 362816

Don't most video card's come with at least a year warranty. I would try to RMA it maybe you will get lucky

Solution