Electrical Sound from CPU That Stops After Opening CMD

Mar 6, 2018
I have Asus Rog Strix GL503VD with i7-7700HQ, 16GB, GTX 1050 and 2 drives (SSD+HDD).

A few weeks ago, I've noticed a strange sound coming from my laptop. The best description of that sound would be that it sounds like a dial-up (electrical noise). I've read on the net about cleaning fans and hard disk coils, but I'm 90% sure it comes from the CPU.

It's really annoying because it won't stop. I have updated all the software and drivers (except the BIOS version!). The laptop is 1 year old and undamaged. Every program I use is licensed.

Only by accident, I've found the one and the only way to stop that sound. It's when I open CMD (Command Prompt) window. I don't have to do anything, CMD just has to be opened and this dial-up sound disappears. But, when I move CMD window from the first place (e.g. open a browser), the sound starts again.

So, please help me with resolving this issue. It's obviously that CMD affects it, but I don't get how and why. Maybe some expert could know what's triggering this dial-up sound and why CMD window is stopping it.

Mar 6, 2018

Actually, I did it - I've asked Asus for help. But their response is every time the same: "Please, update drivers/programs/etc to the latest version and if the problem still exists, contact the seller."

I can't be 100% sure it's coming from the CPU. But in the Task Manager, I can see that the CPU works at 5% all the time, while my disks are at 0%. Also, I've noticed that when I open CMD (Command Prompt) window, the CPU jumps at 15% and then this annoying sound disappears. But this CMD window has to be in the front, before any other app, and if I put it in the background, the sound starts again.

I'm having Win 10 64 bit on SSD disk and other data on HDD.

So, obviously, it's up to the CPU, which is i7-7700HQ as I've stated before. I don't get it how this could happen, but it's happening. The biggest clue, in this case, is this CMD window "solution". Why this program stops the sound? It takes the work of CPU on the greater level (from 5% to 15%), but why the sound stops?

Mar 6, 2018

No, obviously, I was always in the first tier...

But, anyway, this very specific problem doesn't need to be connected with the manufacturer. I'm not professional, but for me, it seems like it could be easily related to some kind of software processes - e.g. Windows by itself, or Anti Virus (Bitdefender I use), or management tasks etc.

Maybe updating BIOS from 304 to 307 could help, but I read a lot about not touching BIOS if you don't know what are you doing...

As I said before, when I start CMD, the sound stops. We should start here. Maybe someone could know what this CMD triggers and that could be the solution.