Electricity issue causing Black Screen of Death

ajs8140

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013
I built a gaming PC in May that I have been very happy with. I have however had one consistent issue. At seemingly random times I get a black screen of death.

The most obvious cause at first was if anything (me or my dog) bumped into my desk. Following this I reseated everything and it eliminated the problem caused by contact with the desk.

Over the following months I would still occasionally have the same problem, this time however it seemed caused by static electricity. I moved my wires around so that I nor anyone else ever contacts them since they were running by my feet. My dog (a static machine) moving around in the room (not contacting anything but the floor) also seemed to trigger it.

In response to this seemingly being a static electricity problem, I moved a humidifier into my computer room. On two occasions, my wife simply plugging the humidifier into two separate power outlets in the room caused my computer to black screen of death. Each of the two outlets do not have anything else plugged into them.

It seems rather odd to me. My wife and I both have gaming computers (different specs) in the same room, but only mine seems to have this problem. We each have our gaming computer with all the peripherals plugged into a separate surge protector, each of surge protector being plugged into a separate wall outlet. Aside from that, we have the humidifier plugged in and the fan on in the room. I will add as a note that we are using different surge protectors (perhaps mine is insufficient for a gaming PC? Idk).

Since my wife is not having the same problem with her computer, I'm thinking the most likely cause of my problems would be my power supply. However, I am by no means an expert. If anyone has any other suggestions for troubleshooting before I start replacing computer hardware please help!

ajs8140

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013
Computer Specs:
MOBO - MSI ProSeries AMD Ryzen 1st and 2nd Gen AM4 M.2 USB 3 DDR4 D-SUB DVI HDMI Crossfire ATX Motherboard (B450-A PRO)
GPU - SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX Vega 64 DirectX 12 100410NT+SR 8GB 2048-Bit HBM2 PCI Express 3.0 Video Card
CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Processor with Wraith Spire Cooler - YD260XBCAFBOX
PSU - EVGA 750 GQ 210-GQ-0750-V1 80+ GOLD 750W Semi Modular EVGA ECO Mode Power Supply
RAM - Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model BLS2K8G4D32AESEK
SSD - HP EX920 M.2 512GB PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe 3D TLC NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Additional note: I stressed test the CPU and GPU and there were no issues with either.

Ralston18

Titan
Two things I noted:

"On two occasions, my wife simply plugging the humidifier into two separate power outlets in the room caused my computer to black screen of death. "

and

" We each have our gaming computer with all the peripherals plugged into a separate surge protector, each of surge protector being plugged into a separate wall outlet."

How many peripherals and other things are being plugged in?

There is a voltage spike coming from somewhere and your PC/build is not being protected as it should be. Current is getting into the pc the wrong way and not finding the correct escape path through grounding/earthing.

In my mind, there is likely a short somewhere. I would suspect an outlet, but the surge protectors are equally suspect.

How old are the surge protectors - they do "wear out" especially if subjected to continuing voltage spikes.

Also consider that even if separate outlets are being used, the outlets could all still be on the same circuit.

Yes, the PSU is also a likely suspect.

However, take a look at everything else first and eliminate as many other possibilities as you can. No "wiggly" outlets.

PSU/Build: Carefully inspect all cables, standoffs, ports, etc. throughout the case. Use a bright flashlight and even a magnifying glass.

Reactions: jdlech

TRENDING THREADS