Question Electronic/Rattling/Ticking Sound coming from the motherboard/cpu

May 4, 2023
Hi!
Ive been haveing an issue with a rattling sound coming from my computer a couple of days now (mightve been there for longer but i just recently discovered it when i moved the computer to a more silent room) and im very unsure what is causing it and if it is causing harm to my system.

The rattling/ticking sound in question from the source where the sound is the loudest/most noticble
(The sound im referring to is the ticking/rattling sound, almost sounds like a HDD. There were no HDD in the system when this was recorded)

Its almost like it is coming from the cpu itself or atleast from the motherboard the area around the cpu!
First i thought it was my hdd , so i unplugged it and the noise was still there.
Its also not from the PSU (Corsair RM850 850W)
Then i tried the fans on my cpu cooler (Noctua DH-15) , first just one of them then the other then both of them, sound still there.
The CPU is a 9900k running default clock and it is placed in a ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING, S-1151 motherboard with 16gb of Corsair Vengance LPX 4000MHz
The gpu ,if it matters, is a MSI Geforce 3080 gaming z trio.

The temperatures are ~30c when idle in a 26c ambient room and during load in most games that i play it ranges from 50-65c.

I know the sound is very similar to that of a hdd , but as i mentioned above i tried disconnecting it and the sound still persisted!

Any ideas on what it could be or what is causing it ?
Thanks!

Last edited:
May 4, 2023
Sounds like some coilwhine. Usually that comes from the psu or the gpu.
It very well might just be coil whine, but thats unlike any coilwhine ive ever heard.
When this clip was recorded the system was idle , fans on low rpm, hdd unplugged and no programs running and the sound was most audible directly behind the cpu. If it were gpu/psu coilwhine shouldnt the noise originate from those sources ?

Slight update aswell : I went into the bios and turned off xmp and rebooted the system and the rattling turned into a buzzing sound with some ticking sounds. No Idea if it has anything to do with current or anything like that , im far from an expert on that stuff.