Electronic vs Real Drums

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm debating whether to get an electronic drum kit and mic the cymbals for
recording or going completely with real drums. I'm not a drummer, but it
seems like you could get a nice variation in tones by going with an
electronic kit. I generally like a more natural sound so that leads me to
the real drums.

Any ideas.

Sanbar <sanbar@wi.rr.com> wrote:
>I'm debating whether to get an electronic drum kit and mic the cymbals for
>recording or going completely with real drums. I'm not a drummer, but it
>seems like you could get a nice variation in tones by going with an
>electronic kit. I generally like a more natural sound so that leads me to
>the real drums.

If you have a good large room for tracking drums, by all means go with
the real thing.
--scott

In article <5YqNd.3668$w75.2969@twister.rdc-kc.rr.com> sanbar@wi.rr.com writes:

> I'm debating whether to get an electronic drum kit and mic the cymbals for
> recording or going completely with real drums. I'm not a drummer

Well, then who's going to be playing the drums? If it's you, you might
as well go for the electronic set since you'll have to learn to play
them anyway. If you plan to bring in drummers to record, chances are
they'll have their own drums so spend your money on microphones.

"Sanbar" <sanbar@wi.rr.com> wrote in message
> I'm debating whether to get an electronic drum kit and mic the cymbals for
> recording or going completely with real drums. I'm not a drummer, but it
> seems like you could get a nice variation in tones by going with an
> electronic kit. I generally like a more natural sound so that leads me to
> the real drums.
>
> Any ideas.

If this is a kit for a studio, I'd suggest getting a real kit and augmenting
it with some acoustic triggers, some kind of trigger-to-midi converter, and
a sampler. I'd spend the lions share of my investment on a decent kit and
buy the electronics used.

jb

Status
Not open for further replies.