[SOLVED] Element smart 750w

Jan 3, 2019
Hello guys, I bought a new Graphics card in Gigabyte aorus rtx 2070. I discovered that my psu was missing the right connection cable - 8pin which is required to plug the gpu(the previous psu is 750w aswell). So I bought a new psu - element smart high power 750w which had the connections and was reccomended by the shop owner and now my pc wont even start. I made sure everything is connected to the mobo(GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3) 100 times and it still wont run. when switching back to my previous psu and without any gpu it responds. Any idea what is wrong? Could there be a compatability problem? I am really lost here any help is appriciated.

Solution
High Power, Element Smart series 750W unit is made by Sirtec and that's at best, low quality PSU. At this point, and as you've described it, minimum you're looking would be dead MoBo. At worst, you'd be looking towards everything that PSU was connected to (whole PC).

Though, i wonder, is the shop owner knowledgeable about PSUs or not? If shop owner isn't knowledgeable about PSUs then recommending PSUs is good way to get rid of units no-one else buys. But if shop owner knew about the quality of the PSU, he generated more sales since now you have dead hardware thanks to that PSU and you probably go back to his store to buy new hardware.
In any event, when it comes to the PC hardware, do not take salesperson advice in the store regardless...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
High Power, Element Smart series 750W unit is made by Sirtec and that's at best, low quality PSU. At this point, and as you've described it, minimum you're looking would be dead MoBo. At worst, you'd be looking towards everything that PSU was connected to (whole PC).

Though, i wonder, is the shop owner knowledgeable about PSUs or not? If shop owner isn't knowledgeable about PSUs then recommending PSUs is good way to get rid of units no-one else buys. But if shop owner knew about the quality of the PSU, he generated more sales since now you have dead hardware thanks to that PSU and you probably go back to his store to buy new hardware.
In any event, when it comes to the PC hardware, do not take salesperson advice in the store regardless what position he/she has in that store. Instead, do the research beforehand and buy smartly.

Solution

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Did anything happen when you first tried to turn it on? Like an audible pop or anything. Or did nothing happen at all? You could have just had a dead on arrival unit. Or as said above, it could have failed when you turned it on, possibly taking other things with it. Get a better quality unit.

Edit: Oops, missed that you can still boot up fine with your old PSU. Seems likely that your new one is faulty.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I agree on quality psu, id return it for a better quality unit like Evga Supernova G2/G3 or Corsair RM series.

Since you're able to boot up with the old psu, perhaps not all is lost (i hope).

View these steps for anything that you may have missed.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems

Also check if the psu has an on off hard switch at the back as psus often have.

7f1f2d48-0cda-4329-9048-d91087cb40c7_16_201300009494_L.jpg

FYI, when changing psus, any modular cable like sata power, pcie power, cpu power, any cable delivering power that you physically plug must belong to the psu. Mixing those cables from other psus can cause shorts and damage components as pinouts can be different.

---

If you do manage to get it working, i would consider the advice above in changing it.