[SOLVED] eleven (11) beeps when booting ASUS P8Z77-V LX LGA 1155

hardwareuser

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2015
I get presently eleven (11) beeps when booting ASUS P8Z77-V LX LGA 1155. This is when I power it off and on. It doesn't seem to beep when Windows 10 decides to reboot. From the motherboard documentation, this doesn't match the BIOS beep code table at all. The beeps sound completely evenly spaced to me all with same duration.

The system boots and I am working through some burn-in issues using HeavyLoad -- actually trying to disable OC. But any advice on the beeps I would like to hear.

Solution
Weirdly enough I couldn't download the manual directly from ASUS. The manual you've got is the non-LX version, but I am not 100% what difference this would make. The BIOS will be the same regardless.

I suspect the manual is a very confined list of what it can possibly be, or the list is an older version for an older board. Being as the beep code doesn't correspond to it, I'd sooner look at the cache error.

Have you also gone through absolutely everything here: "No POST", "system won't boot", and "no video output" troubleshooting checklist | Tom's Hardware Forum (tomshardware.com)

hardwareuser

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2015
What beep code table are you referring to?

P8Z77-V LX is UEFI AMI BIOS, where 11 beeps can be a memory cache error for that BIOS.

From: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1155/P8Z77-V/E7074_P8Z77-V.pdf It has the following table on beep codes, but it's the only thing about beeps in the document. Is there a better reference?

BIOS BeepDescription
One short beepVGA detected
Quick boot set to disabled
No keyboard detected
One continuous beep followed by two short beeps then a pause (repeated)No memory detected
One continuous beep followed by three short beepsNo VGA detected
One continuous beep followed by four short beepsHardware component failure

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Weirdly enough I couldn't download the manual directly from ASUS. The manual you've got is the non-LX version, but I am not 100% what difference this would make. The BIOS will be the same regardless.

I suspect the manual is a very confined list of what it can possibly be, or the list is an older version for an older board. Being as the beep code doesn't correspond to it, I'd sooner look at the cache error.

Have you also gone through absolutely everything here: "No POST", "system won't boot", and "no video output" troubleshooting checklist | Tom's Hardware Forum (tomshardware.com)

Solution

hardwareuser

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2015
Thank you.
  1. Sorry for wrong link -- but beep code table matches exactly with the correct one: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1155/P8Z77-V_LX/E8533_P8Z77-V_LX.pdf -- after looking around, I've seen that same table printed in other sites, seems to be the only official information. I wonder if there is some info in an Intel reference design that might be relevant.
  2. Regarding: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...deo-output-troubleshooting-checklist.1285536/ -- I will doublecheck some things there. The system does POST and runs. Re that checklist, I don't know for certain for instance if there was a deficiency in the way I put in the standoffs when I installed this board. I probably did, but no harm to doublecheck. It's definitely possible I goofed the debug LEDS, though I recall trying to be quite careful about it from the mobo doc. I have to do all this with a magnifying glass visor since my up close vision can't focus on the components, PSU is fine, brand new, easily within power load specs of everything I have. It's 750 W or so. CMOS battery is brand new.
  3. I have 4x 8GB DIMMs, all seems well with it. I don't believe they are on the mobo HW compatibility list, but the same timings / voltage are same as for other chips on the list. BIOS is up to date.
  4. Even though it continues to beep 11 times at power on, as I said it's posting. I have now conservatively downclocked it to 36x multiplier, as the default overclocking seems to kill it. After that, I did a burn in with HeavyLoad for 2 days on memory, GPU (Nvidia 1060 6 GB), and CPU, now doing another run except this with with Hyper-V enabled. I see one core out of 4 is hitting 89 C at 3.68 GHz, others at 85C. Unclear to me how bad of a temperature that is. It's air cooled.
  5. Confused about one thing -- what did you mean by cache error?

TRENDING THREADS