Question Elite: Dangerous - Consistent Display Crash

Shugularity

Commendable
Nov 5, 2016
Hi guys, wondering if anyone has any ideas regarding this frustrating issue I've been having. It's not specific to ED, however it seems to be the only game that suffers from this issue, I have noticed it happening rather randomly outside of ED with no warning and with no discernible commonality between each event, sometimes it will be while watching videos on YouTube, sometimes I'll be doing some general browsing, sometimes the PC will be mostly idle - perhaps with some background tasks running or I'll have an app open and I'm not interacting with the PC.

I have tried a lot of different potential fixes, none of which have worked, some of which I can't seem to actually do for some reason. I'll get into that in a moment.

I'll explain what happens with ED, as it is the only case where it consistently crashes at the exact same point, with no deviation.

I launch the game and go through the standard loading sequence, where the game does some prep before even getting to the main menu, as soon as it gets to around 25% "planet generation" phase; the display shuts off, GPU fans return to idle speed (if I had them turned up), PC becomes completely unresponsive but power remains on, I have to hard reset the PC at this point by holding the power button down and then turning it back on, resetting the PC using the reset button causes it to boot back up in the exact same state i.e. unresponsive, display off and idling.

Now I spoke to FrontierDev support about this and I gave them a DxDiag file, they responded by telling me that I had an error RADAR_PRE_LEAK_64 that was causing the crash, suggesting faulty RAM or RAM slots, I did memory diagnostics beforehand but ran some again - they returned no result, I swapped RAM around as well but that did nothing to help either. Either way, I recently upgraded to a DDR4 mobo and got new RAM so I really doubt the likelihood of it being the RAM/Slots. I told FDev this but they did not respond, I quickly gave up at this point and left it, this was around September 2018.

Fast forward to about a month ago I decided to look into this again, further investigation into this led me to purposefully recreate the crash and take a look at the event viewer to see if there was any errors I was missing. The event viewer showed me a couple of errors repeatedly turning up around the right time and I did a little google digging to see if there could be any connection - I saw a couple of vaguely similar problems people were having, just with completely different descriptions. As follows:

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{D63B10C5-BB46-4990-A94F-E40B9D520160}
and APPID
{9CA88EE3-ACB7-47C8-AFC4-AB702511C276}
to the user NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE SID (S-1-5-19) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{D63B10C5-BB46-4990-A94F-E40B9D520160}
and APPID
{9CA88EE3-ACB7-47C8-AFC4-AB702511C276}
to the user XX\XX SID (S-1-5-21-4283983988-3576736236-2950103532-1004) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
Windows.SecurityCenter.WscDataProtection
and APPID
Unavailable
to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
Windows.SecurityCenter.WscBrokerManager
and APPID
Unavailable
to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

There are 1,889 of these DCOM errors, all duplicates. Most of which don't correspond with the problem at hand, but I've noticed them also popping up at the same time as when I've purposefully recreated the problem in ED; what I want to know is can these DCOM errors have an impact on system stability in this way? You'll have to forgive my lacking knowledge in this department.

I tried to follow these steps to fix the problem but I can't seem to do anything from step 9 onwards, I can't remember what comes up when I try to do it but I can check if needs be
https://www.kapilarya.com/fix-event-10016-error-the-application-specific-permission-settings-do-not-grant-local-activation-permission-in-windows-10

Other things I tried:
Verifying game files on steam
Reinstalling the game
Updating GPU/CPU drivers
Swapping RAM slots
Memory diagnostic
Running game w/administrator privileges

I am currently preparing to reinstall Windows as my last resort, but I have already done this so many times when I've had problems with many other games, so I'm hesitant to have to do it again.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance or insight anybody has to offer. Thanks in advance :)