'Elite Dangerous: Horizons' Update 2.2, 'The Guardians,' Will Be Huge

Status
Not open for further replies.

JakeWearingKhakis

Commendable
Apr 5, 2016
having purchased the base game when it first came out, I can say that it is definitely more "space sim" focused than NMS, and it's focused more on combat than exploration, but you can do both if you want. I haven't played since they released the horizons expansion.

I don't have the season pass but I think I might get it to jump back in for this. If they make the planet landing stuff a lot cooler, which I haven't tried yet because the reviews were pretty negative about it, that will really keep me in the game.

Flumpaphone

Commendable
Aug 26, 2016
Can't wait - this game just keeps getting better. I like NMS too but it's a bit throwaway - like I thought you'd be able to fly through canyons etc but the ship just hovers over the surface in NMS.

Elite is something I seem to play a couple of times every month - you can't really beat its flight model.

1991ATServerTower

Distinguished
May 6, 2013
Elite Dangerous IS boring most of the time. I mean, I once took a mission where I had to literally do nothing at all for 14 minutes as my shop flew hundreds of times the speed of light from one star to another in a system. You know, God forbid they allow you to jump into a system at the other star... And the last time I logged in, literally the moment I jumped into super cruise I was interdicted for no reason at all (no cargo, no mission, no bounty, no participation in the faction thing, high security system, hadn't played in 3 months). I just logged out.

ED: A game that would be great if it wasn't programed to bore and troll you to death....

JimmiG

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
I own the game and the expansion but haven't played since February because it was such a grindy and wildly unbalanced game. You can spend an entire evening and only make a few hundred K, which might sound fine, until you realize most mid-range ships cost upwards of 70 million when fitted. That's easily 1,000 hour to get a mid-range ship.

It's like a Free To Play/Pay To Win game where they forgot the ability to buy in-game credits with real money.

audie-tron25

Reputable
Mar 23, 2015
Elite Dangerous is what it is. It is very grindy and that is kind of the whole game, some people like it and some don't. I've played about 70hrs of the game so far and to be honest, I rarely play it often. But the space combat is pretty enjoyable (especially with a joystick) so I pretty much only do that. I think that Elite Dangerous is about doing your own thing (whether it be trading, mining, bounty hunting or smuggling) and I guess that some people just don't like that sort of gameplay.

Status
Not open for further replies.