EliteBastardz looks at Temporal AA from ATI

EliteBastards takes a quick look at Temporal AA on the ATIs and shows how it can be enabled.

<A HREF="http://www.elitebastards.com/page.php?pageid=4533&head=1&comments=1" target="_new">http://www.elitebastards.com/page.php?pageid=4533&head=1&comments=1</A>

Quite impressive, I'm going to check it out tonight.

Aquamark may be a title to look at as it runs AA by default.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
Humm... Interesting, Please give us some feedback after your testing, I have a Radeon 8500, I can't test this feature!

--
<b><font color=red>GO!</font color=red> <font color=blue>HABS!</font color=blue> <font color=red>GO!</font color=red></b>

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
Catalyst maker promised that "something big" was coming up soon in future drivers, I thought for sure that this was it(this new AA is a very nice present) but sources at B3D claim this isnt what Terry was talking about.

<A HREF="http://rmitz.org/AYB3.swf" target="_new">All your base are belong to us.</A>
<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=2216718" target="_new"><b>3DMark03</b></A>

cleeve

Illustrious
This looks absolutely amazing to me.

If it's not the feature that the catalyst maker hinted at, I can't wait to find out what he was talking about...

I was unable to make this work with the OMEGA drivers, and I didn't have time to re-install CAT 4.4 last night. I will try again tonight before going skiing tomorrow.

I made a whole bunch of Fraps captures yesterday (about 500megs of video and stills) of a bunch of demos (not being impressed and searching hard for difference) before finally using the tester EB linked to and realizing it wasn't enabled on the Omegas (other registry tweaks disable this one?).

Yeah, I saw the initial discussion about this but didn't know that is was user enablable to easy. I thought it was something to be exposed later.

Oh well try again tonight, and we'll see what happens.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
I'm excited about my year+ old card! This is an AWESOME feature... I mean holy f**kin sh*t awesome. nVidia 8x AA? Unusable. 4xAA with 2 sample patterns, 4xAA performance, 8xAA image quality (or 90% close)... holy sh*t.

I have the Cat 4.4s, so I tried this out. I tried the following (@ stock XT speeds, FYI):
A. 2xAA 2-pattern @75hz + 85hz
B. 2xAA 3-pattern @75hz + 85hz
C. 4xAA 2-pattern @75hz + 85hz
D. 6xAA 2-pattern @85hz
*EDIT* 6xAA 3-pattern @85hz

I used Painkiller and UT2004, at 1024x768 (max detail OF COURSE, and 8x perf. aniso).

A. Looked comprable to 4xAA.. but not exactly. It seemed to depend on the situation. In some areas it looked just as good as (normal) 4xAA, in others it was noticably lacking (although not SEVERLY). During normal gameplay experience I would say its 80% as good as normal 4xAA. In some areas/situations though it looked half-way there (3xAA). I saw no flashing at 75 or 85 hz in this mode (was pulling those #s almost constantly however), and no difference in image quality.

B. Similar to the situation above. Not 100% 6xAA quality.. but close. 80% close during normal game play, but noticably lower in some situations if you look closely (4xAA looking). IMO not usable at 75hz... perfectly usable at 85hz however minor flickering can still be seen sometimes. I'd say at 100hz (which my monitor can do at 1024x768, but I did not try) would look perfect.

C. Compared to the 2x modes, the 4x mode achieved actual results closer to it's theoretical results, in my opinion. This really did look like 8xAA most of the time. During normal gameplay I'd say its 90% 8xAA, but again, looking closely, it's noticably lacking in some situations (but close). Saw no flashing at 75hz or 85hz, image quality remained the same.

D. OMG. Elite Bastards wasn't BS'ing... Painkiller with 12x(theoretical)AA... outstanding. Same goes for UT2k4. Again, in some situations it didn't stand up to what I imagine 12xAA being like (as I've never actually seen it)... but it was always better looking than normal 6xAA (makes sense...), but I'd say it appeared to be 90% effective during normal gameplay (effective at looking like 12xAA that is). I only tried this mode at 85hz, but there was no flashing for me (flashing comes with low FPS, if you can't pull my #s [common problem;)] you may see some flashing).

All in all im exstatic about Temporal AA, and can't wait for it to be officially put in the drivers. For now im running all my games with 4x 2-pattern temp. AA and loving it. Now if we could just get OGL support...

*EDIT*
I have now tried 6x mode with 3 sampling patterns, with the refresh rate at 85hz. I played a UT2k4 deathmatch game to 50, in Grendelkeep with 8 bots. This is not a very graphically intensive map so it rarely dropped below 60fps.
Well if any test would make you sh*t your pants, this would be it. 18x effective anti-aliasing... and it showed. This mode looked noticably better than the 6x 2-sample mode... although not a ton, because 12xAA is already a sh*tload. I guess the real test would be to try it at 640x480... hey what a great idea! I'm gonna try that next. Anyways, during the game I noticed no flashing. It ran flawlessly and looked absolutely amazing... say bye-bye to jaggies:)

Me: are you saying I can't provide?
Me: cause I know I can provide.
Me: oh and I can provide money too;)
Rachel:): why do we need money when we can just stay in our room and have sex all day?<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Willamette_Sucks on 05/01/04 00:25 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
Put up a 3DMark03 link you little ass**le.

<A HREF="http://rmitz.org/AYB3.swf" target="_new">All your base are belong to us.</A>
<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=2216718" target="_new"><b>3DMark03</b></A>

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
LOL! I will, I will, don't get your panties in a bunch.

Rachel:): why do we need money when we can just stay in our room and have sex all day?

coylter

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2003
Should i be able to make this work with 60hz?

I tried all they said but i see no flicker in their little program

Athlon 2700xp+ (oc: 3200xp+ with 200fsb) , Radeon 9800pro (oc: 410/360) , 512mb pc3200 (5-3-3-2), Asus A7N8X-X

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
Yes, it should work at 60hz. You must have Catalyst version 4.4 I believe. Get that if you don't already have it. If you do, then try this. Make sure AA is enabled in the ATI control panel for one, then turn on a smartshader effect, and turn it back off (or change the AA mode, and put it back... you just need to do something and hit apply/OK to make the D3D driver restart). If it still dosn't work, then I'm not sure what the problem could be.

When you run that program it opens a little window. Make sure you click inside that window, and keep the mouse inside there. Somtimes it dosn't keep updating when you click elsewhere.

Rachel:): why do we need money when we can just stay in our room and have sex all day?

coylter

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2003
ok....i see no difference at all...

Athlon 2700xp+ (oc: 3200xp+ with 200fsb) , Radeon 9800pro (oc: 410/360) , 512mb pc3200 (5-3-3-2), Asus A7N8X-X

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
Did you add the registry string value correctly?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\(the first big number/letter combo)\0000

Then right click New -> String Value

Call it "TemporalAAMultiplier" exactly, without the quotes, then right click on that and click Modify, and make it 2.

It should be working. Also after you've done this, or re-done it (to ensure you did it properly), re-do the other steps I mentioned earlier.

coylter

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2003
Maybe i just dont have what it take to see the diff between 6x and 12x....