News Elon Musk took 19 days to set up 100,000 Nvidia H200 GPUs; process normally takes 4 years

JTWrenn

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
Jensen Huang apparently disagrees with you. But what does Jensen know? All he does is hire people and pay $$$.

And apparently hiring people and paying $$$ is not as simple as it sounds, or other corporations would have done the same.
It's hype. That is how ceo's work. Push employees like mad and cut corners then take credit for their work.

I will wait to see how screwed up it is for that crunch rather than believe two ceo's patting each other on the back.

padrescout

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2017
Jensen Huang apparently disagrees with you. But what does Jensen know? All he does is hire people and pay $$$.

And apparently hiring people and paying $$$ is not as simple as it sounds, or other corporations would have done the same.
Or there is a reason it's not done this way. Wouldn't be the first time Musk decided he knows better, ignores the institutional knowledge a industry had built and then has to make exactly all those mistakes until he ...does it the way everyone else does. See ... everything Tesla has ever done in vehicle manufacturing. Or Musk demanding they stop a bunch of "useless services" and breaking Twitter... repeatedly. Or his bad code he writes that is just .... funny. That ones mostly funny, no-one uses his code. He's a terrible coder by all accounts. "Print your code and come explain it to me!" That's just funny. He's a laughable person. A sad laughable half-smart person.

So yeah, let's give it 6 months and see what unforeseen consequences, if any, reveal themselves.

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
Elon Musk and the team behind xAI purportedly setup a total of 100,000 H200 Nvidia GPUs in just 19 days. That's a feat that should have taken four years to complete.

Elon Musk took 19 days to set up 100,000 Nvidia H200 GPUs; process normally takes 4 years : Read more
No, the vision and drive to make that happen takes a pretty big effort, and I’m quite confident if you were given the money and the hires you still couldn’t get it done. If everyone could do it they would.

I would say Huang and his teams also deserves a great deal of credit.

Last edited:
Elon Mask what ? he did not do anything but hire people and pay $$$ .
you know i keep seeing people say this.

tesla does something amazing "elon didn't do it, he hired people to do it"
spacex does a once in a lifetime engineering marvel "elon didn't do it, he hired people to do it"
elon sets up an ai datacenter in 19days that normally takes 4 years "elon didn't do it, he hired people to do it"

Even if you're right and elon is not a competent engineer (something i think his career disproves but whatever, i won't argue it), he certainly might be the most competent hiring manager in the history of mankind. you only get this lucky once in your life and he keeps doing it.

Reactions: KraakBal

DavidLejdar

Respectable
Sep 11, 2022
Wouldn't want to live nearby:

Btw, I can set up a chat-bot, which shouts: "Trump 1984!", in under an hour. Just sayin'. :D
(This is not a political reference - I don't even live in the U.S. It is just that the AI model is named after The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, novels I like, and I also like Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency, and the videogame Starship Titanic - and then I look at Mr Musk's... uhm... political activism, and it just happens to remind me rather of a different novel. Which I just meant to express, that some of that stuff in the U.S. seems quite absurd to me.)

Even if you're right and elon is not a competent engineer (something i think his career disproves but whatever, i won't argue it), he certainly might be the most competent hiring manager in the history of mankind. you only get this lucky once in your life and he keeps doing it.
Huh? E.g. Bosch (named after a guy) has a lot more employees than i.e. Tesla. Likewise, e.g. Siemens, also named after a guy, with e.g. the first electric locomotive having been here in Berlin (and then having ended up as something, not just a selected few had some use of).

Not meaning to argue about whether Mr Musk really is the best the U.S. has. But "in the history of mankind", there are a lot more examples, than a library visitor in Florida may be allowed to learn about.

More like most companies will spend 3 years budgeting for a project and/or buying parts for it on a piecemeal schedule and then go live at the end.

Most companies don't just randomly spend a few billion dollars out of nowhere and pay the price premium for the rush job because the CEO is riding the dragon again.