EM64T technology

moboking

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2004
What does EM64T technology mean to a CPU if it supports it? The next generation of Intel socket 775 chip will be the 600 series. They will support EM64T technology. However, the 600 series chips still are 32bit. Does it mean that with EM64T technology, the 32bit chip can run 64bit Windows? Or does 64bit Windows require not only a 64bit CPU but also a 64bit motherboard?

I know that there are certain motherboards that support EM64T technology. Should I only buy these boards if I plan to use 64bit Windows in the future?

endyen

Splendid
EMty64, is Intel's version of Amd64. It will do most of the same things, though it is rumoured to have trouble with memory above 4 gigs. I know, 4 gigs sounds like a lot, but once windows gets through doubling things, and wasting addresses, it's not that much. BTW that 4 gigs includes page file etc.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
EMty64, is Intel's version of Amd64.
I still prefer <b>E</b>mergency<b>M</b>edical<b>T</b>echnician<b>64</b>. Can't you just picture a medic with an Intel logo instead of a red cross running out of the back of an ambulance to try and save the dying 32-bit processor? EMT64 seems really more an emergency hack than skilled surgery.

<pre><b><font color=red>"Build a man a fire and he's warm for the rest of the evening.
Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life." - Steve Taylor</font color=red></b></pre><p>

endyen

Splendid
Can't you just picture a medic with an Intel logo instead of a red cross running out of the back of an ambulance to try and save the dying 32-bit processor?
No ,actually, I cant picture an Intel techy doing much of anything lately, that's why it's EMTy64.