EMachines MCP61PM-GM AM3 support?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nitroflash

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
Hello,
I've been wanting to upgrade my processor for a while now, and I was wondering if my current motherboard, the eMachines MCP61PM-GM (which has an AM2 socket) would be able to support an AM3 processor with a BIOS update.
I've read that AM3 CPUs are backwards compatible if the BIOS is able to handle it, but I have not been able to find any mention of AM3 in any BIOS update I have seen for the motherboard.
Is it possible for me to use an AM3 processor with the motherboard or should I stick with AM2?

tcsenter

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
Its highly doubtful that it would have the BIOS support required for AM3. I notice some models using this motherboard shipped with Phenom I up to 9600, so AM2+ models are supported (up to 95W MAX TDP).

The latest BIOS I could find for this mobo is version v1.09G (01/18/2008) shipped with Gateway GT5668E, but there are no BIOS downloads listed for this mobo from Gateway's website (that I was able to find). I would contact Gateway support and request the latest BIOS for this mobo.

A BIOS from 01/2008 should improve your chances of using more 65nm Phenom I based quad core or tri-core up to 95W. e.g. Phenom X4 9500, 9550, 9600, 9650, or Phenom X3 8400, 8450, 8550, 8600, 8650.

RLM1957

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
I recently bought an eMachines ET1331G-03w at WalMart. It has an AMD 235e processor which the AMD website shows as a socket AM3. The e designation shows low power, in this case 45W. The motherboard withhandle up to 89 watts. I take all this to mean the board will support the AM3.

wol940022

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
I have bought this computer also and I upgraded the processor in it to the AMD Phenom II X4 925 2.8 quad core. the motherboard can handle up to 99 watts not 89 you got the wrong version of the motherboard the older one can only stand 89 watts this one can stand 99 watts processors

G

I have the ET1331G-05w a few weeks before this post. It's supposed to be an economical replacement to the "03w". It comes with an AMD athlon ii x2 250u dual core CPU. I've researched that it has a micro ATX motherboard but not telling the exact model :fou: What is the most powerfull CPU that I can put in this computer.
I've come to find out that not all types of RAM are compatable with certain CPU's even though the memory modules might fit in the slots, and not all CPU's are compatable with certain boards even though the chips might fit ijn the exact same AMD 2 pin grid array sockets :ouch: What would happen if someone accidentally powered up a computer with the wrong modules and/or chips ¿? :eek: :eek: :eek: ¿?

ctp5150

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010

What is your BIOS version? Did you have to upgrade it? If so, do you have a link to where you downloaded the BIOS from?

Thank you

horserider

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
I have the ET1331G-05w a few weeks before this post. It's supposed to be an economical replacement to the "03w". It comes with an AMD athlon ii x2 250u dual core CPU. I've researched that it has a micro ATX motherboard but not telling the exact model :fou: What is the most powerfull CPU that I can put in this computer.
I've come to find out that not all types of RAM are compatable with certain CPU's even though the memory modules might fit in the slots, and not all CPU's are compatable with certain boards even though the chips might fit ijn the exact same AMD 2 pin grid array sockets :ouch: What would happen if someone accidentally powered up a computer with the wrong modules and/or chips ¿? :eek: :eek: :eek: ¿?

The AMD AthlonIIx2 250u is a AM3 cpu. Go to AMD's web site and you will find what you need to know concerning CPU and compatable memory. I also own the ET1331G-05w. According to Emachine's website, this MB is rated for 65w CPU. Here is a link to AMD cpu list http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/processors/athlon-ii-x2/Pages/AMD-athlon-ii-x2-processor-model-numbers-feature-comparison.aspx

ronjacob

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010

What did you do? Did you have to upgrade or do anything special? Please respond.

G

I also have this same computer, bought at walmart. I just downloaded cpu-z and it shows mine as having an AM3 235e chip and ddr2 memory. My board also says rev:2.4. The first 2 memory slots are purple and the other two are orange. I have never seen a picture of this exact board. I know the board is made by ECS. The bios is AMI version P01-A1 dated 09/15/2009. The 250u chip used in the later models are ultra low power like 25watts. Hope this helps.

sulumordna

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
i know this is late but if anyone is wondering if you can upgrade the cpu on an emachines 1331g model, yes you can. mine too came with the 250u cpu. this cpu was fine for my needs at first (for online school stuff). i have since upgraded the psu, video card and cpu in my rig. the cpu i upgraded to is an athlon II x2 250 3.0Ghz am3 chip. i had no problems at all the this upgrade. i know it didn't exceed the 65w tpd or anything but an upgrade was possible. i am lookin to upgrade the cpu once more before i hand it down to my son. i will probably try a phenom (lowest wattage one i can find) or an athlon x3 or x4 (as i have read about people having success with these too). i will post an update when i do upgrade, though i am going to upgrade to an hd 6770 or 6800 series card first.

Status
Not open for further replies.