Email Notification of Thread Response!

When we've selected email notification of thread response there only needs to be 1 email reminder not an email for every freaking person replying in the thread!

Could someone please address this!

Thank You! Ryan

justinblue

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
4Ryan6,

That might be a little tricky to do. Obviously, the way it is now, it just sends an e-mail to everyone who wants one when a new reply is posted. The other way, how would it know when to restart sending you e-mails? After you've replied? After you've read it? I'm not really sure there is a particularly good way to implement it. Since you're a pretty active user, it may be better for you to just stop having e-mails sent. You can do this in profile by going to forum settings and unchecking "Notify me of updates by default"

Thanks!
Justin

justinblue

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
alidan,

You may be right, I actually don't remember exactly how the old system worked. What I do know is that it was sporadic at best. This system is an entire rewrite, which would explain why it might work differently.

Justin

Yes, I remember, That's exactly right!

You got 1 email reminder once someone posted to a thread your were participating in, and got no more email reminders for that thread until you responded, then it reset, and you'd get a email reminder once someone new responded to the thread.

Justin could that be done?

This email notification option is in every single post?

justinblue

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
4Ryan6,

I think maybe this should be discussed with Joe Pishgar later this week. I honestly can see benefits both ways. I mean, to not be alerted to any new responses just because you haven't responded has some downsides.

Yes, the option is in every single post. If you'd like to disable it from being automatically turned on when you reply to a posting, go to your account settings/forum settings... edit and uncheck: "Notify me of updates by default"

Justin

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
it wasnt just when you responded, its when you went back to that topic or news article it reset it so if someone responded again you would get an alert.

i really miss that.

with the new system, i only get emails for forum posts, and not comments on news articles

but every now and than one will pop up and im left to wonder if its the system thats broken, or if something is happening between this site an email inbox that is screwing up.

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
Chiming in here to respond to the request:

I don't think that we'll be shifting it from how it is currently done. The previous instance was, as Justin mentioned, pretty sporadic and buggy at times. It's more intuitive just to send an email to those who want notifications when a reply has been posted to the thread.

I took Justin's advice and disabled in the profile it still allows you to select an email notification of a post at the time of posting, but "Enable email notification of this thread", is now not automatically showing with a check in the box.

Thank You Justin & Joe! Ry