Email Notifications & My Threads

Rusting In Peace

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
I'm fairly new to Tom's forums and I'm finding it tricky keeping track of threads that I've commented on (but not created) and have had new posts.

I had expected to get email notifications of new posts but nothing has come through. I can confirm that someone has indeed posted after me and that other email notifications like Best Answer have been sent.

When I'm posting I'm using the quick post functionality and under my profile settings I've got Automatic Email Notification set to Yes.

The best, yet inconvenient, way I've found is clicking the "My threads" button at the top of each major category and look for blue flags Frustratingly this doesn't seem to work at the top Forum level so I'd have to go into each section to use this functionality.

So is this expected behavior for both the emailing system and the "My threads" functionality? Can anyone suggest a better way to track thread progress?

tecmo34

Administrator
Have you clicked on "Show the Right Column" button at the top right corner of the forum? It will show you a box of your Profile, any responses to threads you've created or answered, along with any Private Messages. This is a very useful tool when you are posting in multiple sections or have multiple conversations going in threads.

Also, you get to see who had the last best answer, any new badges members have received and some other site related items.

Rusting In Peace

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
I've kind of taken to using my browser to figure out what threads have been updated now by opening all bookmarks of "My Threads" for each forum section. It's a bit of a pain in the arse but it works.

I still reckon that right hand panel thread tab functionality is still broken though. See my link in a previous post for a screenshot.

Can anyone comment if there is a better way to track threads in the up and coming new forum style?