[SOLVED] Emailed phone video was transferred to a USB 3.0 flash drive and it plays the entire video sideways. How do I correct it?

Jul 8, 2019
I got an email which contained an attachment of a speech video from someone who recorded the speech on his cell phone. When I downloaded the attachment and on to a USB 3.0 flash drive, the entire video was sideways. The original video was easily watched via the attachment on my computer as well as on a separate saved favorite and it played fine. How can I correct it so the USB flash drive records it without it being recorded sideways on the USB flash drive?

Solution
Actually the phone is recording it sideways and embedding a rotation code as it should.
It's the viewer that's playing it sideways that is ignoring the exif rotation code.
Try using a more modern viewer, such as VLC that mangaman already suggested. It should honor the code and rotate the video as it plays.

If you want to correct the file on the usb drive, try reformatting the flash drive to NTFS and saving the file to it again. otherwise you might have to edit the video so that it is natively in the correct orientation.

popatim

Titan
Actually the phone is recording it sideways and embedding a rotation code as it should.
It's the viewer that's playing it sideways that is ignoring the exif rotation code.
Try using a more modern viewer, such as VLC that mangaman already suggested. It should honor the code and rotate the video as it plays.

If you want to correct the file on the usb drive, try reformatting the flash drive to NTFS and saving the file to it again. otherwise you might have to edit the video so that it is natively in the correct orientation.

Solution