Embedded Win8 key recovery - after format

FlT4Ever

Reputable
Feb 2, 2016
First I'm sorry but even if this question was already asked, the answer has never been clear or only work around were provided.

I have a laptop that came preinstalled with Win8. First thing I did was delete every partition and format it to install Windows 7 Pro.

Now I'd like to sell the laptop but keep my Win7 Pro key (like I did countless times). So I'd like wipe Win7 to reinstall Win8, back like it was originally. I have the software but I just noticed there is not product key on the laptop so my guess is it's an embedded product key. I have several questions (thank you Microsoft)...

Is there any way I can do this?
Is this key hard coded somewhere?
If I use a key retrieval software will it give me the Win7 Pro key or the Win8 key?
If I start the installation, will the key automatically be entered during the install or something?

Remember, Win7 is already installed and I want to reinstall Win8. I have no images of the initial setup nor do I have any recovery CDs.

Thank you!

Solution
The win8 key is embedded into the 'Bios' and when you install 8 it should detect it there and use it. I havent tried a key finder on win8 in quite a while but back then none of them worked correctly as the real key in encoded in the OS and the key finders report what they find in the OS.

popatim

Titan
The win8 key is embedded into the 'Bios' and when you install 8 it should detect it there and use it. I havent tried a key finder on win8 in quite a while but back then none of them worked correctly as the real key in encoded in the OS and the key finders report what they find in the OS.

Solution
Just reformat the laptop using http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media, see if windows installs properly, and if it activates, take out the disk and perform a thorough over-write of everything using at least 3 passes (everything zeros, everything ones, then back to zeros). After that reinstall windows 8 again. It sounds annoying, but NEVER sell a computer unless you've done at least this

I was never able to get the key to install automatically, which other users have also reported. I always had to do it manually. However, some report that it does work. I'm not sure what causes the difference in experience, but a poster reported a while back that he was able to get the single language edition to auto grab the key while miltilanguage disk would not. I have not had a chance to test this theory, but can try it out.

There are tools that will recover the bios key. I know because that's how I did it. They do not all do it though.

FlT4Ever

Reputable
Feb 2, 2016
The key is there somewhere with every computer purchase. Now why oh why do retail stores keep everything as hidden as possible is beyond me, not only that but they load each computer with so much crap, it makes every computer of today just as slow as computers from 10 years ago.

Well, thanks for your answers, I'll see what I can do and write back with the outcome.