Just picked up a beautiful Embryon, which I've never owned before. I
realized that it has 4 flashers at center playfield that aren't
working. I am convinced that there is an issue on the small auxiliary
driver board under the playfield, but a few things have me baffled here
before I replace the 2 obscure components on the board.

First, according to the schematics, the auxiliary board puts out 43
volts DC to the #912 flash lamps. 912's are 13 volt lamps, wouldn't 43
volts blow them out immediately?

Where does the 43 volts come from? I see that the aux. board takes in
6.3 volts from the feature lamp circuit, but how does it become 43
volts? Is the S2800A on the aux board some type of amp?

There is a feature lamp mounted beside the aux board that has no
apparent purpose. It is also seen in the aux board schematic. It
isn't seen through an insert or anything, just screwed to the bottom of
the playfield. Is it simply there to test that the SCR on the main
lamp board is working?

Any input is appreciated!

The 43 volts are the solenoid power. The lamps behind the aux boards
(after J1 pin 6) are wired in series so the could handle the 43 volt.
If one of these lamps is not working, all lamps will not work ! So
check these lamps first.
And reflow solder joints (backside of the aux board).
Also the separate feature lamp near the aux board must work, otherwise
the moc3011 will not switch. How does it workin my opinion:
The lamp board switches the separate feature lamp to ground (lamp
lits), then the moc3011 switches the S2800A and then the four lamps are
connected to ground...
(I just found out that I have normal 555 lamps behind the aux board ,
so I have a very bright flash...)
Greetings Oliver

My collection: Fa*thom (new rulesheet), E*BD (new rulesheet), Har*lem
(7 Digit), Xen*on, Emb*ryon (new rulesheet), Star*T*rek, Vec*tor (new
rulesheet), Ma*ta*Hari(new rulesheet), Fire*power (7 Digit) and
Alien*P*oker (multiball)...

My homepage: http://www.pinball4you.ch

Mail to: okaegi at freesurf dot ch

I did figure it out after posting. From the schematic, it looked like
the 43 volts was getting produced on the aux board. After looking at
and tracing the wires, I realized that the coil voltage was attachet to
the first lamp in the series and the aux board was just used to switch
the ground and isolate the high voltage from the lamp driver board. I
wound up having one bad lamp. What a goofy design! I hate those
single wedge sockets BTW!

I still would have thought the lamps couldn't handle the high voltage.

Seems like a great amount of engineering went into this game for a
measly 4 flashers!

Almost done shopping it now. I think I'll play it a while before
posting for sale. Definitely an interesting game that you don't see
every day.

Maybe a good trade piece for that EBD I can't seem to get!

rondondo@comcast.net wrote:
> Just picked up a beautiful Embryon, which I've never owned before. I
> realized that it has 4 flashers at center playfield that aren't
> working. I am convinced that there is an issue on the small auxiliary
> driver board under the playfield, but a few things have me baffled here
> before I replace the 2 obscure components on the board.
>
> First, according to the schematics, the auxiliary board puts out 43
> volts DC to the #912 flash lamps. 912's are 13 volt lamps, wouldn't 43
> volts blow them out immediately?
>
> Where does the 43 volts come from? I see that the aux. board takes in
> 6.3 volts from the feature lamp circuit, but how does it become 43
> volts? Is the S2800A on the aux board some type of amp?
>
> There is a feature lamp mounted beside the aux board that has no
> apparent purpose. It is also seen in the aux board schematic. It
> isn't seen through an insert or anything, just screwed to the bottom of
> the playfield. Is it simply there to test that the SCR on the main
> lamp board is working?
>
> Any input is appreciated!

A little history anecdote, as I am very familiar with this game.
Embryon was one of the very first games, to use flash lamps as a feature.

Since the technology to generate sufficient power to run these lamps was not
available from the lamp board, they created the special circuit out of an
aux board MOC as mentioned, not related to the expander circuit. It has a
flaw, as if the MOC shorts on (and will with age and circuitry), the lamps
will obviously stay lit. If so, the playfield can burn and the clear
plastic can melt. I have seen operators place #555 bulbs in the #912
positions and make the situation worse, as even though they have a short
lifespan, can create enormous amounts of heat.

Remember the only time, the lamps will light is when both balls in the
chamber strike the targets and multi-ball.

"Life begins............"

--
"The_Black_Knight"

The Washington State Pinball Stronghold
"A Fortress Protecting the Silver Ball"

www.geocities.com/pinball_jack

<rondondo@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Just picked up a beautiful Embryon, which I've never owned before. I
> realized that it has 4 flashers at center playfield that aren't
> working. I am convinced that there is an issue on the small auxiliary
> driver board under the playfield, but a few things have me baffled here
> before I replace the 2 obscure components on the board.
>
> First, according to the schematics, the auxiliary board puts out 43
> volts DC to the #912 flash lamps. 912's are 13 volt lamps, wouldn't 43
> volts blow them out immediately?
>
> Where does the 43 volts come from? I see that the aux. board takes in
> 6.3 volts from the feature lamp circuit, but how does it become 43
> volts? Is the S2800A on the aux board some type of amp?
>
> There is a feature lamp mounted beside the aux board that has no
> apparent purpose. It is also seen in the aux board schematic. It
> isn't seen through an insert or anything, just screwed to the bottom of
> the playfield. Is it simply there to test that the SCR on the main
> lamp board is working?
>
> Any input is appreciated!

TRENDING THREADS