emergency boot disk

mb

I have a Dell Dim 2400 with XP Home.

I would like to create an emergency boot diskette. What is the best way to
do this?

Mel

I believe you right click on the A: drive in My Computer and choose
properties.
"MB" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
> I have a Dell Dim 2400 with XP Home.
>
> I would like to create an emergency boot diskette. What is the best way to
> do this?
>
> Mel

You can't boot XP from a single diskette using anything that comes with
Windows. You can save your ntldr, boot.ini and ntdetect.com files to a
floppy and use them if you ever need to recover, but you either need to boot
from the XP CD or you will need to make the six boot floppies by downloading
the boot maker from Microsoft.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q310994

"MB" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
> I have a Dell Dim 2400 with XP Home.
>
> I would like to create an emergency boot diskette. What is the best way to
> do this?
>
> Mel

mb

Is the "reinstallation CD" that came with my Dell system sufficient (to boot
from after a crash -- with a bit of luck)?

Mel

"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote in message
> You can't boot XP from a single diskette using anything that comes with
> Windows. You can save your ntldr, boot.ini and ntdetect.com files to a
> floppy and use them if you ever need to recover, but you either need to
boot
> from the XP CD or you will need to make the six boot floppies by
downloading
> the boot maker from Microsoft.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q310994
>

> "MB" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
> > I have a Dell Dim 2400 with XP Home.
> >
> > I would like to create an emergency boot diskette. What is the best way
> > do this?
> >
> > Mel

Yes. The ultimate recovery tool is a drive imaged with True Image, Ghost,
etc. (and whatever Symantec is calling DriveImage these days).