Emergency help Stat!

xerocool83

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
The computer I normally do the posting with just went south....I hope not for long. I moved my computer into a very cold room with a fan and everything normally around 6-8 degrees cooler than I normally am in. So with the extra heat distribution i figured id mess around with my multiplyer and fsb. It was @ 10x 200 so i sitched it to 14x 166 but it only said i had 1Ghz so then I switched to 12x200....which I Have had it at before with no problem. However i booted it up and it said some problem with a file... hal.dll I think was part of it. I rebooted and now it just sits there at a black screen with a cursor blinking in the top left hand corner.....Help me please. Do i need to do something with some sort of jumper to redo my bios or something?
I have a 3 year old ASUS Deluxe A8N or something....I dont remember and all that info is stored on the afflicted computer.

Thanks you,
Rob~X

loner47

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
You can try replacing the hal.dll file, may or may not fix problem.
One overlooked problem that occurs when overclocking is that when you overclock the fsb you also oc the hdd controller which can wreak havoc with your os.
Trust me I know. :oops:

DomBenson

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
hal is the Hardware Abstraction Layer - the low-level core driver base, which you can't usually simply replace, as it has to match the hardware, you might well have to reinstall windows. If you're lucky you'll be able to repair your old installation, it depends on the version of windows you're running. I take it you're reduced speeds back to stock?

reininop

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2006
The guy above is right, it is the hardware abstraction layer and can mean a few things. I've had it happen to me a few times when I've had failing hard drives, but in your case, we'll assume that isn't the case. I don't really feel like typing in an in depth answer when one already exists so I will link to it for you.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_haldll_missing.htm

For some clarification though, I have found option 1 and 2 to be useless for me. I've never had the recovery console be able to repair hal.dll, so don't get your hopes up there though it's worth a try. If you have an extra hard drive with windows installed, I'd give the last option a try as well, after you've tried the recovery console of course, though.

sailer

Splendid
You may have to reinstall windows, but you also may get lucky by resetting the CMOS/BIOS. I've run into this in the past when playing at overclocking, sometimes getting lucky with a CMOS clear and sometimes not. Either way, its worth a try. Here's directions:

1. Turn off computer and unplug the power cord.
2. Remove the CMOS battery.
3. Move the jumper cap from 1-2 position to 2-3 for a minute. Then
replace the jumper to the origianl 1-2 position.
4. Re-install the battery.
5. Plug in the power cord and turn on the computer.
6. Hold down the delete key during boot and enter BIOS to re-enter any
data that you want.

With good luck, your computer turns on and is normal again. Hope this works.

TRENDING THREADS