[SOLVED] [EMERGENCY] [URGENT] Possible PSU problem.

Armoredhound

Reputable
Jun 25, 2020
Hello.

I had a post which was related with jumping CPU core clock speeds and voltages.

Even tho, I decided to look more into these things, and used the Aida 64 CPU Statistics feature to see my actual power rails (12v, 5v, 3v)

So -

CPU Core Voltage - 1.056 (MAX)

+3.3V - 1.564 (MAX)
+5V - 5.070
+12V - 12.954.

I heard that the +3.3V rail is VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY BAD.

I don't have the chance to get a new PSU or either a PSU tester, so I need solutions.

Solution
First of all, psu testers that cost less than $5000 or so are worthless.
They can confirm a dead psu, but can not confirm proper operation.
What is the make/model of your current psu?

What are the specs of the rest of your parts?

Are you experiencing some sort of a problem?
It is normal for a cpu to change speeds and voltages if you have implemented speedstep.
That is a good thing.

If you think your psu is a problem, the only way to verify is to borrow a known good psu of sufficient power to test.

If your current psu is truly bad and dangerous, stop using it or it might damage your other parts.
First of all, psu testers that cost less than $5000 or so are worthless.
They can confirm a dead psu, but can not confirm proper operation.
What is the make/model of your current psu?

What are the specs of the rest of your parts?

Are you experiencing some sort of a problem?
It is normal for a cpu to change speeds and voltages if you have implemented speedstep.
That is a good thing.

If you think your psu is a problem, the only way to verify is to borrow a known good psu of sufficient power to test.

If your current psu is truly bad and dangerous, stop using it or it might damage your other parts.

Solution

DSzymborski

Titan
Software readout of rails is pretty universally terrible Unless you have a PSU with a digital output, which is only a handful of PSUs, I wouldn't even bother looking at stats.

Now, if these readouts are anywhere near accurate, your PSU is in a lot of trouble and unless you had significant expertise -- on the level that you would never have to ask such a question in the first place -- the solution would be to replace the PSU, not fix the PSU. Whether you "can" or "cannot" replace a PSU is immaterial and doesn't change any of the underlying facts.

Armoredhound

Reputable
Jun 25, 2020
Software readout of rails is pretty universally terrible Unless you have a PSU with a digital output, which is only a handful of PSUs, I wouldn't even bother looking at stats.

Now, if these readouts are anywhere near accurate, your PSU is in a lot of trouble and unless you had significant expertise -- on the level that you would never have to ask such a question in the first place -- the solution would be to replace the PSU, not fix the PSU. Whether you "can" or "cannot" replace a PSU is immaterial and doesn't change any of the underlying facts.

lmao the 3v rail in the bios is exactly 3.054

DSzymborski

Titan
lmao the 3v rail in the bios is exactly 3.054

JGTesting4.jpg

Does this look like your testing setup? If not, it's pretty meaningless.

Reactions: jonnyguru