Emerson TV won't connect to Sony Home Theater System

ElectronicDummy

Commendable
Apr 2, 2016
I have a 50 inch Emerson TV and a Sony Blu-ray/Home Theatre system. I have a HDMI cable connected between the two.

I am able to watch a dvd and get sound through the home theatre system and image through the tv. However, when I am trying to watch a normal television show the sound will not come out of the theatre system. My cable is directly linked into my tv so there is no cable box.

I have tried buying multiple cords based on what people have told me to try, but nothing has worked. I most recently bought an RCA cable (red and white) and connected it to the audio in spots on the blu ray player. - Didn't work.

Are these two items not compatible together? Is there a setting somewhere that I am missing? Or is there a different method I should try?

Solution
Does the Sony Blu-ray box have a port for an incoming cable connection? If so, I would expect that the Sony would be able to send the normal television show images to the TV and the audio to the sound system without further ado. Connect your incoming cable TV there.

That said, I understand that the Sony Blu-ray/home theatre system is able to direct image to the TV and the sound to the speakers.

The TV also receives direct cable provided television image and sound. Image goes to the screen and the audio goes to the TV speakers.

Normally you can probably direct the audio to another output source. May take a TV menu/audio change to do the redirect to the necessary TV output port and then you use the appropriate cable(s) to the...

Ralston18

Titan
Does the Sony Blu-ray box have a port for an incoming cable connection? If so, I would expect that the Sony would be able to send the normal television show images to the TV and the audio to the sound system without further ado. Connect your incoming cable TV there.

That said, I understand that the Sony Blu-ray/home theatre system is able to direct image to the TV and the sound to the speakers.

The TV also receives direct cable provided television image and sound. Image goes to the screen and the audio goes to the TV speakers.

Normally you can probably direct the audio to another output source. May take a TV menu/audio change to do the redirect to the necessary TV output port and then you use the appropriate cable(s) to the speakers/sound system.

So first check the TV configuration menu's; make sure that the sound is being sent to the correct output port. If there are configurable choices.

Next, what about the home theater system? Can it receive/accept an audio signal from the TV and then know to redirect that audio into the speaker system? Is there a configuration setting to do so via its menu's?

Look at the User Guides for the Emerson TV model and Sony Blu-ray model. Identify the available ports and their direction (IN or OUT).

Depending on the available ports and menu configurations you may have some choices. Or be able to use some interim adapter....

Here are two links that can provide some guidance provided you can match the ports on your devices:

http://www.diyaudioandvideo.com/TV/WiringDiagram/

http://www.ceaconnectionsguide.com/

Sketch out a diagram of your setup showing menu settings, ports, and cables. And possible adapters if needed.

Solution