Empire Total War has stopped Working

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericeagle92

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2008
I just got Empire Total War and Installed it and played the game for 5 hours then it just shuts down and says it has stopped working. Now it happens more and more often. I had the same problem with World in Conflict but now that works fine. What is going on?

System

Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83 Ghz
6 GB Ram
9800 GT

david_uk109

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
the total war series of games, although brilliant, can often be notoriously difficult to install, run and then kept running. I personally own 3 of the games and can currently only get 1 to run on my pc. mtw1 doesn't like my modern graphics card and mtw2 gold installed after a few problems and played a few times but then refused to recognise the dvd's. So that just leaves me with rome, which installed ok and seems to play well enough. The game series also seem highly susceptible to any processes and programs that may be running in the background, so it is probably best to run minimal system processes when playing any of these games (that may also help to diagnose what the problem might be). You have my sympathies.

ps. my problems were encountered on a pc with xp (a proven and reliable operating system), so if you are using vista that may complicate matters even more.

UNICOMPLEX

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
david_uk109 says
ps. my problems were encountered on a pc with xp (a proven and reliable operating system), so if you are using vista that may complicate matters even more.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would have to agree.
There seems to be some truth in this, I myself had no problems with ROME TOTAL WAR with XP but when I got vista now and again the game would say it as stoppped working and I would have to run the game again.

ericeagle92

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2008
I have figured out why Empire stopped working on my pc. it's because of steam. for some reason when steam was online it would close my games. So i just went offline and it works. sorry david i don't know how that could be the solution to rome as i don't think it uses steam. it's the same problem i have with my other online strategy games like COH or WIC. Weird.

Captainhero

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
I been getting loads of issues with steam lately related to flashplayer, updated flash and steam stopped misbehaving as much. i.e games just stopping etc.

tangon08

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009
I have a brand new Dell M1530 laptop which runs on Vista. I have plenty of ram and the best graphic card and everything else Dell had to offer 2 months ago. I played Total War for about 13 hours total. Now I am on Move 69 and the game just stops working. Says it has encountered a problem and shuts down. I have tried everything I can think of and nothing works. I changed the settings to low and put steam on offline mode and it still happens. Even downloaded the game and and the update and still the same problem. Really getting annoyed...... Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

tangon08

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009
It has gotten to the point that everyone of my saves are corrupt at this point. I can not even start a new Grand Campaign. As soon as I select it the game shuts down and that is the end. I hope they come out with a patch to fix this in the near future. From what I have found everyone is having he same problem. No wonder I tend to stick with console gaming!!! this is ridiculous

UNICOMPLEX

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
I have not got this game but there seems to be something related to when the steam will do its first update in your game that stops it from working again, 90% of people are having this problem who purchased this game and they all say it is steam related, some are trying to run steam as a admin to try and cure this problem, others are deleating steam alltogether, theres one report that he as not had any problems if he isnt saving the game after each move < but this seems pointless to me.

Angelique8478

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009

I had been looking forward to the Empire total war for ages.... Got it on release date, and my computer couldn't handle it. I've been intending to upgrade anyhow so I ordered a new Dell with a great graphics card and decent speed and all. The game still doesn't work correctly. I can do battles, but not the main campaign, which is what I really want. I get the error message- Empire Total War has stopped working, a problem caused the program to stop working correctly..etc. Any suggestions? Also, I have tried to contact support, No luck there, is there any way to get an actual response out of them???? Anyone??

ericeagle92

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2008

Well other than trying to play offline, I heard people complain that there game shuts down either because there PSU sucks (unlikely in ur case) or their PC gets to hot. u should try and download realtemp to see what the temps are and make sure their not to high.

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1325/Real_Temp_3.00.html

My friend had a problem with heat and now that he moved his computer somewhere better it gets air and works fine. Hope this helped!

happy85

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
And I have the CD BTW

Also I didnt even play it for 5 hours, I got the same problem you did on the first time i tried to open the game. I have the specs, but I try to open it, screen goes white, there is a "17th century cursor" and it says Empire has stopped working

kronick

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009

i found out why that part of the game isnt working....try loading a new game from the tutorials....then go to the menu during the game and change the game play settings to 1 hr battle times...then exit and try to load grand campaign...it should work...i just tried it and no problems...i think u change the length of battles once u start the grand campaign...let me kno if it works for u...

lentyski

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Hey, I was wondering I have a computer now of course and I run the demo *If everything is not on low it laggs like hell lol*

Since Iam not at home I am not 100% sure of my PC, but I do know this and I know it only barly meets the mini.-

1GB Of ram *oh god i know*
Nivdia 7300 EL
2.79 GHz

Thats about so far all I know, I know it has to be my ram card and my video card, but I want to buy a new PC, anyone have an idea because what I do is I compare this game to a computer that can handle it, I would like medium - high+ if possible for a nice price.

:bounce:

Also if I buy a new computer and it can handle this game it can handle anything :p

***Keep playing the demo on very low, looks crappy but love the game!***

Anyone have an idea of a price on a good computer, thanks for reading this sorry if I am in the wrong section I just saw this and read was glad.

pr2thej

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
assuming you had the basics (monitor keys mouse speakers hdd os) then you are talking about £450 or whatever the mickey mouse money equivalent is for something to run Empire Total War reasonably well. Thats based on an AMD 720 platform with 4gb of ram and a 48xx series card, with a basic case and PSU like Anteq 300 and low range Corsair.

Honestly its easier for you to give us a budget to work with.

tsd16

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008

I resent that. Its monopoly money.

snyderm

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
I have a nice computer. I could play Empire Total War. I was *SO* looking forward to playing it, in fact. But I found out that it requires steam, and I will never, ever again have anything to do with steam. It is not surprising to hear that it just screws things up.

When you support internet copywright protection schemes like steam, and horrible DRMs found in the likes of Bioshock, etc with your money, you are just hassling yourself and supporting the death of PC gaming anyway.

lentyski

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Well the budget hmm, Iam not 100% sure, Iam just slowly saving money *Dont have a job, in school only 15 XD* lol

I know my parents wont pay for it, so I was thinking of saving my money slowly, would take a long time but, really this computer I want to buy or a new one, is not just for Empire, its also something I want for myself like "ya thats my PC" lol since this computer is my older brother and meh....

Instead if upgrading his RAM card and video card I told myself *Just save your money* I spend a lot on online games like item mail anyways..

So hmm, price range not sure

pr2thej

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008

Sorry...whats wrong with Steam again?
Ease of use? Instant gaming? Damn good prices? Excellent selection? Auto updates? Modding Community? Easy online play?

Yea stick it to the Man....man!!

pr2thej

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
ummmm thats a really tricky one mate. Clearly you wont be able to invest in what i posted above if you are still at school.
Realistically you will need to spend a good £100 minimum to get a decent experience...Thats dependant on your motherboard not needing an upgrade though which it may well do to get a sane amount of RAM in there.

Whats your motherboard and PSU mate? (PSU for a GPU suggestion)

Status
Not open for further replies.