Employment in America versus Western Europe

No2rdame

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
This is a general question for our European friends on this board. I was thinking about this today when one of my colleagues was presented with his "10 year anniversary" package at work. In the past it may have been different, but today it seems that if you dedicate ten years worth of your life to a company you get a cheesy printed "award" and a catalog of crappy, inexpensive junk you can choose from as your "reward." I know that's a generalization based off my experience alone, but I have worked at multiple places that seem to handle employee loyalty in this fashion (I did work at one place that gave out Rolex watches but only to executives and friends of the owner).

So, from what I have seen many employers in America reward loyalty with a $10 gift from some useless catalog and nothing more. Is this how things are often handled in Europe or is it different? How are long-term employees rewarded?

No2rdame

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013

European or American?

Kewlx25

Distinguished

Whoops, USA.

D

Deleted member 217926

That sort of thing depends entirely on where you work and what your job is. You can't really generalize that into American and European. And you really can't generalize European either as individual countries have different laws and customs even within the EU.

I'm American BTW but I have traveled all over Western Europe and have some good European friends.

No2rdame

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
Well, I guess what I'm trying to say is that in the past American companies tended to be a bit more employee-centric. There were things such as Christmas bonuses and loyalty. Many people would actually retire from a company they put most of their careers into. In today's culture it seems that only in sales and a few select industries do bonuses exist anymore and a company will not hesitate to lay off even its most loyal employees if it can save a buck or two. Is this a similar trend in many parts of Europe? I do realize that there are different laws and customs within each country, so I'm curious if anyone has had experiences with different ones, what were they like?

TRENDING THREADS